Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sabots

Sabots

Evening folks
    have any of the reloaders out their ever used sabots am just wondering what I could get a .22 or .204 bullet or maybe .17s doing out of my .243 or .308 (it's a poor t.v. Night)
    cheers Martin

I can give you a slack handful of sabots if you want to try them.
    I did once but could not get better than 4" at 100yards in my .308

Best left to 120mm armour defeating rounds - accuracy at 2000m takes some believing!

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I can give you a slack handful of sabots if you want to try them.
    I did once but could not get better than 4" at 100yards in my .308
    And if you do decide to give them a go, don't forget to remove your moderator before firing. Sabots and mods do not mix ......

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    And if you do decide to give them a go, don't forget to remove your moderator before firing. Sabots and mods do not mix ......
    Also don't try and use them with a chrono that has fins, the sabots will pepper the fins !!!

I got a .308 up to around 4200fps with a 52 gn .224 bullet a few years back.

It was a good job it was a fast round, as it didn't take long to get from one side of the group to the other.

Cleaning the plastic out of the rifling was fun also.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

I have had two types of Sabot, one grey and one red.
    The grey ones were a softer 'plasticcy' type of material and the red ones were a stiffer, more like 'bakelite' material.
    I didn't have any problem cleaning my barrel after using either.

Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post

Thank you

I remember a chap turning up at the range a long time ago with Remington accelerator ammo in both .30-06 and .308. He claimed that he would be using these for foxing as the ballistics were supposedly very good. After a couple of hours he gave up on both as the best he could achieve out of his rifles was something like a 4"-5" shotgun pattern.
    Funnily enough we don't seem to see them around in recent years. Probably a good idea but it just didn't work.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.