Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rinsing out a carcas with water - right or wrong?

Rinsing out a carcas with water - right or wrong?

Hmm. I am so confused.
    'Best Practice' says NO, you're potentially spreading contamination.
    However, these people advice to rinse a carcass out...: 'The carcass should be cleaned out with water if necessary, especially if a chest shot has been taken and the cavity is contaminated with excess blood'
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    Hmm. I am so confused.
    'Best Practice' says NO, you're potentially spreading contamination.
    However, these people advice to rinse a carcass out...: 'The carcass should be cleaned out with water if necessary, especially if a chest shot has been taken and the cavity is contaminated with excess blood'
    Yes, you need to get the blood off the inside of the carcass to improve meat quality. But don't use to much...

I was told as a kid not to put water near a deer but to use it's blood, but nowadays with the best practice and bleeding out first then there is little blood to clean out with.

In the abattoirs we are not allowed to use water anymore the carcase must be trimmed . If its blood stuck to the ribcage just scrape it off with your hand

It has been my opinion that if gut is ruptured and a small amount of contents ends up in the cavity it is better to clean out with paper towel or wipe of some kind in that local area. Rather than spreading it around the whole cavity with water. If there's loads of stomach contents in there, well you've got to ask yourself if this should be going into the food chain? Personally on the 2 occasions where I have made such shots resulting in excessive gut contamination I have just removed the haunches (in skin) and the back straps and left the rest for the fox. However on chest shot animals I see no problem with washing the excess blood out. As the blood it the first thing to go bad and smell. Which may give the impression that the meat is bad. As there is nothing within the cavity that wasn't already there I'm not spreading any foreign bacteria around. That's just my take.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I recall that we went through a phase where Best Practice shifted from using potable water to rinse out the chest cavity to using paper towels to wipe it down, but we then reverted back to allowing water (in minimal quantities of course, not the power hose ).

In Scotland they are far more practical - using disposable paper towels or, at a pinch, sphagnum moss for those gut-shot beasts: carcass: the gralloch(1)

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I recall that we went through a phase where Best Practice shifted from using potable water to rinse out the chest cavity to using paper towels to wipe it down, but we then reverted back to allowing water (in minimal quantities of course, not the power hose ).

In Scotland they are far more practical - using disposable paper towels or, at a pinch, sphagnum moss for those gut-shot beasts: carcass: the gralloch(1)

willie_gunn
    Thats correct regarding best practise and the use of water, if stomach is burst best to cut away the area where the bullet has exited as bullet will drive stomach contents into the carcase at this point and will turn the meat quite quickly, if a little gut gut contents side the carcase wipe out with a paper towel use a little water if necessary.

If badly contaminated better not to let the carcase enter the food chain , salvage any that has not been in contact with stomach contents and use it yourself

Wash a badly contaminated carcase out and while it may look fine leave it hanging in the chill for a couple of days and you will see it start to go off, while other carcases hung at the same time are perfectly OK

willie_gunn
    Comforting as one may be forgiven for imagining that no deer is dragged through bog, burn or bracken when being taken from the Hill anymore!

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Comforting as one may be forgiven for imagining that no deer is dragged through bog, burn or bracken when being taken from the Hill anymore!

K
    Perish the thought

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post

K
    Not dragged, naturally, but perhaps rolled or bounced down the Hill on occasion

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Not dragged, naturally, but perhaps rolled or bounced down the Hill on occasion

willie_gunn
    or sliding at speed faster than i can walk then me falling down the deepest of sink holes and the beast sliding over the top of my head dragging me back out the hole and a further 20 yards down the hill, i swear i could have tied it to a sled and it would have made it down on its own lol