Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camoflage Clothing

Camoflage Clothing

Thinking of buying some clothing for Stalking. i wondered if cammo clothing makes any difference especially as deer are supposed to see colour to around 60metres.
    Anybody any thoughts on what to buy?
    Thanks
    Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer4u0 View Post
    Thinking of buying some clothing for Stalking. i wondered if cammo clothing makes any difference especially as deer are supposed to see colour to around 60metres.
    Thanks
    Norm
    It's like a uniform is'nt it? the show of certain wear clearly shows your standing in the shooting/game community,
    Most keepers rarely wear any camo with tweeds themselves being classed as ver good camo. deer management contractors are rarely without their real tree.. and bright orange used by American hunters is defo not camo.

However, scientifically what is the purpose of wearing camo? it genuinely is to remove the shine given by human skin on a foliage landscape, the human skin (no matter what colour) is reflective as moisture collects it becomes more so and the natural environment has learned to fear humans causing us to be naturally feared as predators so animals have learned how human skin looks a reacts to light ( well researched by military organisations worldwide).

this theory is proven by pigeon and crow hunters as no skin best results thats why the best camo is aimed at them..

Thanks
    Norm
    Buy something drab and green it'll be as good as a camo in reality and you'll look more respectable. Have a look at Fjall Raven... Really good quality and if your like me with an inside leg of just over 36" they'll fit like a glove!

I fear some people think camo makes them invisible, if you were in the forces you'd know the 5 S's....

Done a fair bit of reading on this, and a bit of empirical testing.

My conclusion is that there are really only 2 relevant variables:

1. Hiding human skin - as above, we really stand out. Get a friend to stand in a wood abd just raise and lower his hands. With gloves - quite hard to see. Without gloves: glaringly obvious.

2. Avoiding high contrast - either within the outfit itself (clear blocks of markedly different colour), or with the background.

Hence any relatively drab clothes will work. Realtree etc are marketing gimmicks - they present images of actual foliage AS WE SEE it. Military camo is more effective because it doesn't represent anything in particular - it just presents a range of more or less random hues that, on average, are similar to the broadest spectrum of backgrounds.

It really isn't worth worrying about. Focus on durability, waterproofing and pockets.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Thanks
    Norm
    Norm

If you're going for camo it will depend a bit on where you are planning to do most of your stalking.

caorach on here kindly ran a series of tests on different camo's (MTP, DPM, Flecktarn, Realtree, etc) but most of the photos now seem to have gone (Cammo test - MTP v Flecktarn v Advantage timber - Page 2)

I have a variety of camo that I've used over the years - DPM, vegetato, realtree, etc.

The one I was happiest with for woodland stalking was the Konifer pattern (see Camo Pattern Buyers Canada).

On the Hill in Scotland I actually found that the vegetato worked well (File:Vegetato.jpg - Wikimedia Commons), with the Swiss alpenflage (Military Supply House - M-65 Field Jacket - Vintage Steel Zipper Olive Drab Field Jackets) a close second.

In reality, though, I don't think the deer ever even noticed the difference. Movement is far, far, more likely to give you away than colour.

For this reason I mostly stalk these days in plain tan or green, sometimes with a camo fleece over the top, sometimes not. Can't say it's had any effect on the number of deer I shoot.

Now covering your hands and face, though, is important.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Buy something drab and green it'll be as good as a camo in reality and you'll look more respectable. Have a look at Fjall Raven... Really good quality and if your like me with an inside leg of just over 36" they'll fit like a glove!

I fear some people think camo makes them invisible, if you were in the forces you'd know the 5 S's....
    ha ha in regards to prisoners search, segregate, silence, speed, safeguard,,, hmmm maybe cut that down to four for hunting me thinks lol

A few years ago I went on an evening stalk in Berkshire, I was wearing the Seeland keeper Jacket and trousers whilst my guide was wearing a white tattersall shirt and blue jeans.

We saw around a dozen deer, none of which spooked and I succeeded in shooting both a Roe and Muntjac buck.

I am not suggesting that camouflage does not have a role to play but perhaps wind direction and approaching carefully are more important?

atb Tim

Hi Guys
    Thanks for all the replies. I think you are correct that they should be durable, waterpoof and have pockets.
    I quite like the look of Ridgeline. Maybe get a real good jacket and trousers in muted colours for the cold/wet season and maybe some cheaper army surplus for the summer (sunny haha) season.
    Never in the forces so dont know the 5 S,s

May as well opt for whatever pattern least alarms the Waitrose Checkout Lady.

K

When its dry I tend to wear an olive green colour jacket and muddy jeans with a MTU camo baseball hat and some macwet gloves. When we actually get to see them out (been very quiet lately) what we wear doesn't seem to make any difference but the movement certainly does! When its nailing it down and in the cold winter months I have some stealth gear olive green trousers (muddy) which do fine and the Olive green jacket gets switch to my winter variant which is still olive green lol

Id say stick with plain colours rather than all the fancy crap as unless your sat still in a hide or high seat the patterns used tend to stand out when your moving more so than the plain stuff as how often do you see a 6ft lump of grass/ oak tree moving through a woodland