Reloading .243 for Deer

MattJ

I have been using a variety of .243 100gr rounds for deer and am planning on reloading in future. I would like your suggestions on the best bullet for the job; I am guessing somewhere between 85 and 100 grains will do.

Once I have decided on that, I can select which powder to use and work up a suitable load

Before anyone suggests it, I already have most of the kit, a Lee manual and an experienced reloader to assist/mentor (he just doesn't use the same calibre).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry Spud :doh:jet lag i read it as amax lol, but i still hate vmax on deer had some bad times with hornady sst's

Anyone got any good recipes for 90/95gr Nos BT ? Tried a number of loads in a Blaser but struggling to get sub MOA. Found factory Federal 80g SP group the best thro this rife and trying to match that with a home load.
Cheers
Huw

Anyone got any good recipes for 90/95gr Nos BT ? Tried a number of loads in a Blaser but struggling to get sub MOA. Found factory Federal 80g SP group the best thro this rife and trying to match that with a home load.
Cheers
Huw
hi try 80 grain sp. and 414 powder 44grain set at 2.64 inch gives me sub MOA.GIVE IT A GO:)

Hi Ian,
Thanks for that! Yes I "dismantled" a factory Fed 80gr last night and found it contained 45.50gr of a ball type powder (H414 or similar). Im getting some 80gr heads next week.....so I'll give it a go. Do you use mag primers for the 414?

Anyone got any good recipes for 90/95gr Nos BT ? Tried a number of loads in a Blaser but struggling to get sub MOA. Found factory Federal 80g SP group the best thro this rife and trying to match that with a home load. Cheers Huw

A Guide only so work up as appropriate - A very successful load for me is:

Cases Remington trimmed 2.036" F/L or Neck sized
Primer: Rem. 9 1/2
Propellant: Vit. N160 x 44.5gns
Bullet: Nosler 95gn ballistic tip
Comparator measurement: 2.490" I never measured the actual COAL as I only ever use a comparator.

Worked for me to .5"/.6" @ 100yds no problem at all. ATB

Hi My R93 doesn't get on with 105grain bullets - have you tried loading a lighter bullet around the 85/7 grain weight - they work fine for me - I can only vouch for their accuracy as i haven't actually shot anything with them yet!
Ed
Cheers
Huw

Last edited:
Thanks for the input so far. I am tending towards the 95gr Nosler BT as I suspect that the VMax might be a bit too fast for a roe at reasonably close range.

Id say a 87 v max would be ok

For deer? Chances are high there will be significant damage unless head or neck shot. varmint rounds too explosive imo.

100gr sp in Sierra or Hornady. As one of the PMs said 85gr sierra is extremely good.
Iain

Back