Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs that have had TECA operation

Dogs that have had TECA operation

Hi folks,

i have a ten year old black lab called buddy and unfortunately we have battled with a very nasty pseudomonas infection in both ears for the last two years, he has had every conceivable antibiotic known and it has never completely cleared up. Unfortunately at his last session of getting knocked out and his ears all cleaned out we discovered he has two perforated ear drums and the infection has gone into his inner ear the time has now come where he needs a procedure known as total Ear Canal Ablation with Lateral Bulla Osteotomy sometimes referred to as a TECA.

this procedure is not cheap and is fairly complex but he is our boy and I don't grudge him it at all, the initial quotes were around 5k and this would have meant him going to the veterinary college in Glasgow 140 miles away but with some searching around and help we have got it down to around 2k and a more local surgeon is going to do it (whom gets a very good report in the circles I have spoken with)

i have read read up as much as I can and the majority are very positive with lots of mention of dogs being like "new dogs" after the procedure, unfortunately he will be completely deaf after the procedure and the reason of typing this is I wondered if anyone has ever had this done to one of their dogs or known of it and what was the opinion.

Also has anyone ever trained a deaf dog as a gun dog? I realise he is ten but he is known for how young and healthy he is with most people believing he is half the age he is.

thanks in advance for any input.

regards,
    Gixer

Never heard of it before and cannot offer an opinion. But as far as training a deaf dog is concerned I have heard of a simple technique that might fairly be met with some critisim and that was to use an electronic shock collar on the lowest possible setting achievable as a means to get the dogs attention, from there use hand signals.

Best of luck for you and your 4 legged partner.

That is sad news. I had an old Lab who went deaf and had to retire him because of it. It is a nightmare when they go deaf because as soon as they lose sight of you, you cannot call them back. I was always worried about him taking off on a runner (pheasant) and going across a road and getting run over. When they can hear, at least you can stop them on a whistle before they get into danger.
    Personally, I wouldn't contemplate working him again for his own safety and your sanity. Another thing, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I would not spend that kind of money on an old dog who can no longer work at what he loves doing.

Quote Originally Posted by pip View Post
    That is sad news. I had an old Lab who went deaf and had to retire him because of it. It is a nightmare when they go deaf because as soon as they lose sight of you, you cannot call them back. I was always worried about him taking off on a runner (pheasant) and going across a road and getting run over. When they can hear, at least you can stop them on a whistle before they get into danger.
    Personally, I wouldn't contemplate working him again for his own safety and your sanity. Another thing, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I would not spend that kind of money on an old dog who can no longer work at what he loves doing.

Fully understand you saying that but I held him from he was the year dot, plus he's part of the family, the wife and kids (and me in all honesty) wouldn't consider putting him down.

also when I thought about it we all probably have guns/cars/motorbikes etc worth close or more to this and I am of the opinion when you take on a dog you do what you can to fix the problem, if this means getting rid of some luxury items I wouldn't think twice (although I am fortunate that I don't need to do that in this case)

regards,
    Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Fully understand you saying that but I held him from he was the year dot, plus he's part of the family, the wife and kids (and me in all honesty) wouldn't consider putting him down.

also when I thought about it we all probably have guns/cars/motorbikes etc worth close or more to this and I am of the opinion when you take on a dog you do what you can to fix the problem, if this means getting rid of some luxury items I wouldn't think twice (although I am fortunate that I don't need to do that in this case)

regards,
    Gixer
    I'm with you, when you take on a dog and treat him as part of the family money should not become an issue in his welfare. I'd sell the shirt of my own back if I had to.

Try reposting this in the vets corner or ask admin to move it there. There are a few vets on this very forum and some very doggy minded people who read that part alot, maybe you'll get more attention there.

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    I'm with you, when you take on a dog and treat him as part of the family money should not become an issue in his welfare. I'd sell the shirt of my own back if I had to.

Try reposting this in the vets corner or ask admin to move it there. There are a few vets on this very forum and some very doggy minded people who read that part alot, maybe you'll get more attention there.

Great idea, could the mods please move this for me if possible?

regards,
    Gixer

Attachment 42670Attachment 42668Attachment 42669

Folks,

just thought i'd put an update incase anyone else ever needs to go through this procedure.

my lab has now had his Total ear canal ablation combined with lateral bulla osteotomy which basically removed the whole ear and everything in there.

i have been worried sick over this since the option was discussed and was dreading it. He is now sitting on my kitchen floor on a duvet swollen and sore but recovering. It's early days but the operation was a success so far with no facial paralysis.

my lab is 10 years old (although doesn't seem it!) and has been plagued with a nasty painful bacterial in his ears for around two years so hopefully that will be all gone now.

he is obviously now completely deaf but I intend to try him with a vibrating collar to call him/get his attention.

i'd like to say a massive thanks and "good job" to Scott and the staff at bridge vets in Aberdeen for the hard work (it was a 3 hour surgery and one if the nerves was tricky to separate) he has now down this procedure 31 times with one instance of post op issues so that is very good.

hopefully I will report again in a few weeks once the recovery is further on.

regards,
    gixer
    Last edited by gixer1; 29-05-2014 at 13:23.

It's a tricky op because of the facial nerve that runs across the vertical canal and because you are operating on an infected area, controlling post op infection can be a problem, so don't be surprised if some of the wound edges break down. However, he won't be totally deaf (assuming it is just the middle ear infected, inner ear usually means loss of balance too) so you may find he'll respond to a loud or deep noise (think permanent ear defenders). Depending on his hearing, there maybe anxiety issues so using the Adaptil collar may well help him over the early stages. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    It's a tricky op because of the facial nerve that runs across the vertical canal and because you are operating on an infected area, controlling post op infection can be a problem, so don't be surprised if some of the wound edges break down. However, he won't be totally deaf (assuming it is just the middle ear infected, inner ear usually means loss of balance too) so you may find he'll respond to a loud or deep noise (think permanent ear defenders). Depending on his hearing, there maybe anxiety issues so using the Adaptil collar may well help him over the early stages. Good luck

Thanks, can you tell me more about the collar you mentioned?

regards,
    gixer

It's called Adaptil and contains a pheromone identical to the one the bitch secreted when suckling. It has a great calming effect and can have some spectacular results with anxiety related behaviour in dogs. It might not work, but it won't harm!