Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .243 accuracy advice please.

.243 accuracy advice please.

When I first joined SD I couldn't hit a thing with my .22LR, but after all the advice I've had on here (and some practical help in the field from a SD member) I can now consistently shoot 5 shots into a single ragged hole at 50 yards, and confidently headshoot bunnies at 80 - 100 yards.
    So, why can't I achieve anything even close to that with the .243? I've had it for just over a year now, but still not really getting to grips with it. All advice gratefully recieved!

I've no reason to suspect that anything's wrong with the rifle (P-H Safari Deluxe). It's old and well used, but fundamentally sound and in good nick.
    The scope is a cheap Nikko Sterling, but brand new, so should be ok.
    I don't expect outstanding accuracy from this set up, because it's all a bit "bargain basement", but I think I should be doing better than I am!

Ammunition I'm using is Hornady 95gn.

For convienence, I've been zeroing / practising at just 50 yards, so I've tried to zero 1" high at this range, which seems sensible.
    Shooting prone off bipod.

Now the problem:
    If I fire a 3 shot group, they're all about ok as far as height goes, but strung out in a line over 2"
    So, maybe my first shot will be almost spot on, followed by the next one 1" to one side of it, then the next one 1" to the other.
    Next attempt it might be the first shot 1" to one side, second shot about right, third shot 1" to the other side.
    And so on.

With the .22 I just carried on practising 'til I got it right, but I can't be putting hundreds and hundreds of rounds through the .243 to achieve the same. Firstly, can't afford to and secondly would bugger up the barrel.

I suspect this is purely a technique thing, but possible minor rifle issues could be:
    Trigger quite stiff.
    Could do with re-crowning at some point in the not-too-distant future.
    Pressure of forend on barrel - it just touches on one side, but good sized gap on the other.

Any ideas chaps?

Sounds like any one of the three issues you mention at the end might cause accuracy problems, or it could be something to do with technique......

is there anyone you know who could shoot your rifle and give you a second opinion (someone who you know to be a good shot that is)?

might just be technique IF its stringing horizontaly, ie not up down or scattered, as mike says you need to rule that out by someone else giving it a go,
    DONT START

The reason is uneven pressure in the action in letting or lateral stress, not maybe, it IS. Solution is glass bedding or live with it. An alternative is you buy Inletting blue, find the high spots and relieve them

At fifty yards I would be zeroing dead on and expect to be roughly an inch high at 100yds.

Two suggestions:

• Ask a good shot to shoot your kit and see how it performs.
    • Try the good shot's kit and see how you perform.

One thing to check is your LOP and then your eye relief. Another as you have already mentioned is trigger pull. I got a row once for turning up with a Ruger MKII and a 9lb trigger pull.

Regards

JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    At fifty yards I would be zeroing dead on and expect to be roughly an inch high at 100yds.

Two suggestions:

One thing to check is your LOP and then your eye relief. Another as you have already mentioned is trigger pull. I got a row once for turning up with a Ruger MKII and a 9lb trigger pull.

Regards

JCS
    9lb! Jeez john, that's more like trigger 'push'! At least you knew that stock was firmly in the shoulder joint before the shot went..lol

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    The reason is uneven pressure in the action in letting or lateral stress, not maybe, it IS. Solution is glass bedding or live with it. An alternative is you buy Inletting blue, find the high spots and relieve them
    Can you just expand on these points a bit please PKL?

If you are finding the trigger noticeably stiff this will not help accuracy - try dry firing and observing for movement through the scope and if you can get a friend to load for you and occasionally not chamber a round without your knowledge this will indicate if there is problem with your technique. Otherwise check for rifle & scope issues such as loose mounts & screws etc. It may also be worth trying a different brand & weight of bullet e.g. 90 grn

atb Tim

Ok, I can sort that, because the issue doesn't seem to be with the height adjustment.

Two suggestions:

When I've used other people's kit I've generally performed ok, but I haven't had anyone else use my rifle since putting this scope on it.

If anyone nearby fancies dropping in for a bit of plinking, feel free...

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    Can you just expand on these points a bit please PKL?
    First, take some sand paper and get that barrel cleared so there's no touching the sides of the barrel channel. I missed that earlier, do that, then check grouping. IMHO trigger weight won't create a lateral stringing pattern, yeah random patterns but not consistent lateral strings....barrel touching side could be it. If not it's 99% because the Inletting in the stock where the receiver sits wasn't cut perfectly and there's a slight side pressure somewhere on the receiver from the stock walls!!!or, the Inletting is not perfectly flat at the bottom of the stock so there's a twisting torque when the action screws are tightened. These issues can frequently cause lateral strings of shots. If you take the barrelled action out if the stock you might actually see high spots in black where the receiver has been wearing on the stock walls, same goes for the barrel in the barrel channel. Further research can be done with Inletting blue to artificially make these high spots show