Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to N160

Alternative to N160

I am running low on N160 and it is in short supply at the moment. My RFD has N550 and N560 in stock has anyone experience with either of these in 6.5x55 with 120gr/129gr. at 70 a pot I don't want to waste money.

Cheers

BE

N560 is going to give you a little higher velocity than N160.
    The VV manual says 49.4 gr max, 44.4 to start.

49.0 gr with 139 to 142 gr bullets in Lapua brass, Fed 210M primers, yield 2,950 fps in their 28-inch test barrel ( like a match rifle ).

N560 is double base, burns a little hotter, a little harder on the throat with full loads.

Supposedly, the French owners are shutting down VV sales to the public soon, claim to be losing money. I hope that rumor is untrue.

Try RL-22 as a substitute. So are H-4831 and IMR-4831.

RL-19, 48.0gr with 129-gr, Fed 215M ( magnum match ) primer, Lapua brass, 3.00 inches COAL in a modern bolt action.
    Last edited by Southern; 17-04-2014 at 22:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post

Supposedly, the French owners are shutting down VV sales to the public soon, claim to be losing money. I hope that rumor is untrue.
    where did you read that? I was told by the importers the opposite.
    Last edited by bk; 18-04-2014 at 06:25.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

I heard someone else bought out vv, seems to be alot of rumours on this

[QUOTE=Southern;
    [/QUOTE]

Southern that's an old rumour that has been debated several times in the last year on this site. The company was recently sold according to press releases so some changes are taking place but if memory serves me correct (can't be bothered to look it up at the moment) the company has been bought by the same group as Lapua and will continue to sell to the public.
    Last edited by 8x57; 18-04-2014 at 06:24.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

The last I heard was that VV have reopened one of their mothballed plants to increase production. Edgar Bros are saying that there will be no further powder shipments from the US this year though.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    The last I heard was that VV have reopened one of their mothballed plants to increase production. Edgar Bros are saying that there will be no further powder shipments from the US this year though.
    You've lost me there Rob as regards the connection. Vhitavuori is Finnish and isn't imported by Edgar Brothers.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    People, shouldn't listen to rumours, far less repeat them. Hannam's Reloading Ltd received a shipment of VV (presumably direct from the manufacturer) just a couple of weeks ago. The shipment includes 3.5kg tubs which work out considerably cheaper than buying it in 1kg tubs. If memory serves me, it's about 65/kg instead of 78/kg. I'm not connected with Hannams, merely passing on the news.

-JMS