Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Rationalisation

Rifle Rationalisation

Currently have a PH1200TX and a Tikka M65, both in .308. Thinking of rationalising things so that I have one rifle that is good for stalking, 100m 20 shot competitions and static targets to 600 yards. New rifle must also be moderated.

I'm not managing to get as much time shooting as I'd like due to life complications, rifle tinkering and distance from a range. I just want a solid rifle that needs no faffing with.

So, I need a rifle that is accurate with the first cold bore shot, gives 1/2 inch groups at 100m, has a barrrel that doesn't overheat or get damaged by rapid fire and is threaded for a mod. Budget is 1500 (including mod.)

Gut feeling is to sell or trade the two rifles then go for a Tikka T3 Varmint with the 23 3/4" barrel. Maybe even try and get a package deal? I'm guessing the varmint, super varmint and the sporter all have the same barrel, just different stocks.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Toxster; 18-04-2014 at 07:25.

Your gut feeling seems like a good idea (as long as the weight is ok for you when stalking).

Just spotted the TAC, though a bit pricey. Not sure if the barrel is different, they seem to imply it's a target barrel.

I think weight will be ok. I'm used to carrying stupid heavy rucksacks, and the alternative to this plan is to scope up the PH1200, which won't be light...

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    Just spotted the TAC, though a bit pricey. Not sure if the barrel is different, they seem to imply it's a target barrel.

I think weight will be ok. I'm used to carrying stupid heavy rucksacks, and the alternative to this plan is to scope up the PH1200, which won't be light...
    I have two 1200TX rifles, one a Mk I and the other a Mk II - they have different barrels. One has the PH sights, the other a Vortec Viper 50mm scope. (BTW, altough standard Leupold 'M98' mounts fit the action, it takes a little lathe work to modify the PH bolts to fit.) Anyway, you don't want to lug a scoped 1200TX any further than from the car to the firing point on a range. You definitely don't want one as a hunting rifle.

The Tikka TAC is considerably light and would probably meet you needs quite neatly. That or the Varmint model. I've handle both (but haven't lugged either in the field).

-JMS

Theres a t3 super varmint on ukv for 695

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    Theres a t3 super varmint on ukv for 695
    Interesting, but I'm after a new 'un. Tired of fiddling with used rifles.

My PH1200TX is single shot so not too heavy...not exactly light though!

Tikka is a good option however I'd be careful of package deals , the scopes are usually crap you can pick up a good second hand scope for Similar money
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

The only barrels that will not really be effected by rapid fire are the hard chromed or Stellite lined ones and I don't know of any non military rifles so equipped.

I don't think you can "rapid-fire" a bolt gun fast enough that one need worry about chrome or stellite lined bores. NRA Disiplines require 10rds in 60sec and they use mostly SS barrels.

SS

Perhaps "rapid-fire" was the wrong term. I mean running deer target with 22 shots in 5/10 mins.