Rifle Rationalisation

Toxster

Currently have a PH1200TX and a Tikka M65, both in .308. Thinking of rationalising things so that I have one rifle that is good for stalking, 100m 20 shot competitions and static targets to 600 yards. New rifle must also be moderated.

I'm not managing to get as much time shooting as I'd like due to life complications, rifle tinkering and distance from a range. I just want a solid rifle that needs no faffing with.

So, I need a rifle that is accurate with the first cold bore shot, gives 1/2 inch groups at 100m, has a barrrel that doesn't overheat or get damaged by rapid fire and is threaded for a mod. Budget is £1500 (including mod.)

Gut feeling is to sell or trade the two rifles then go for a Tikka T3 Varmint with the 23 3/4" barrel. Maybe even try and get a package deal? I'm guessing the varmint, super varmint and the sporter all have the same barrel, just different stocks.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Just spotted the TAC, though a bit pricey. Not sure if the barrel is different, they seem to imply it's a target barrel.

I think weight will be ok. I'm used to carrying stupid heavy rucksacks, and the alternative to this plan is to scope up the PH1200, which won't be light...

Just spotted the TAC, though a bit pricey. Not sure if the barrel is different, they seem to imply it's a target barrel.

I think weight will be ok. I'm used to carrying stupid heavy rucksacks, and the alternative to this plan is to scope up the PH1200, which won't be light...

I have two 1200TX rifles, one a Mk I and the other a Mk II - they have different barrels. One has the PH sights, the other a Vortec Viper 50mm scope. (BTW, altough standard Leupold 'M98' mounts fit the action, it takes a little lathe work to modify the PH bolts to fit.) Anyway, you don't want to lug a scoped 1200TX any further than from the car to the firing point on a range. You definitely don't want one as a hunting rifle.

The Tikka TAC is considerably light and would probably meet you needs quite neatly. That or the Varmint model. I've handle both (but haven't lugged either in the field).

-JMS

Tikka is a good option however I'd be careful of package deals , the scopes are usually crap you can pick up a good second hand scope for Similar money

The only barrels that will not really be effected by rapid fire are the hard chromed or Stellite lined ones and I don't know of any non military rifles so equipped.

I don't think you can "rapid-fire" a bolt gun fast enough that one need worry about chrome or stellite lined bores. NRA Disiplines require 10rds in 60sec and they use mostly SS barrels.

SS

Perhaps "rapid-fire" was the wrong term. I mean running deer target with 22 shots in 5/10 mins.

Currently have a PH1200TX and a Tikka M65, both in .308. Thinking of rationalising things so that I have one rifle that is good for stalking, 100m 20 shot competitions and static targets to 600 yards. New rifle must also be moderated.

I'm not managing to get as much time shooting as I'd like due to life complications, rifle tinkering and distance from a range. I just want a solid rifle that needs no faffing with.

So, I need a rifle that is accurate with the first cold bore shot, gives 1/2 inch groups at 100m, has a barrrel that doesn't overheat or get damaged by rapid fire and is threaded for a mod. Budget is £1500 (including mod.)

Gut feeling is to sell or trade the two rifles then go for a Tikka T3 Varmint with the 23 3/4" barrel. Maybe even try and get a package deal? I'm guessing the varmint, super varmint and the sporter all have the same barrel, just different stocks.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea to me , using one rifle for both pursuits will probably improve your results in both due to more trigger time on one rifle . Just a thought.

AB

[h=2]Bolt-Guns Beat Semi-Autos in Norwegian Rapid-Fire Match[/h]http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/12/bolt-guns-beat-military-semi-autos-in-norwegian-rapid-fire-match/

In other matches in Denmark and Sweden...
25 seconds to hit the target [at] 200-300m distance with a 6.5×55 [target rifle].” In the Stangskyting video below a shooter named Børklop puts 16 rounds on target in just 25 seconds. (He starts with a round in the chamber and cycles through three, 5-round magazines). Børklop’s performance, with just a sling and iron sights, is impressive. He’s shooting a Sauer 200 STR target rifle with 5-round magazine. Note that Børklop manipulates the Sauer’s bolt with his thumb and index finger, while pulling the trigger with his middle finger.

Børklop’s rate of fire, 16 rounds in 25 seconds, is the equivalent of 38.4 rounds in 60 seconds. That’s a notable number because the record for the “Mad Minute”, a British Army marksmanship drill, is 38 rounds in one minute. That record was set in 1914 by Sergeant Instructor Alfred Snoxall, and still stands. So as you watch Børklop, keep in mind that Snoxall shot that fast for a full minute with a Lee-Enfield nearly 100 years ago!

Scandinavian Bolt-Rifle Speed Shooting Daily Bulletin

Bolt-Guns Beat Semi-Autos in Norwegian Rapid-Fire Match

Bolt-Guns Beat Semi-Autos in Norwegian Rapid-Fire Match Daily Bulletin

In other matches in Denmark and Sweden...
25 seconds to hit the target [at] 200-300m distance with a 6.5×55 [target rifle].” In the Stangskyting video below a shooter named Børklop puts 16 rounds on target in just 25 seconds. (He starts with a round in the chamber and cycles through three, 5-round magazines). Børklop’s performance, with just a sling and iron sights, is impressive. He’s shooting a Sauer 200 STR target rifle with 5-round magazine. Note that Børklop manipulates the Sauer’s bolt with his thumb and index finger, while pulling the trigger with his middle finger.

Børklop’s rate of fire, 16 rounds in 25 seconds, is the equivalent of 38.4 rounds in 60 seconds. That’s a notable number because the record for the “Mad Minute”, a British Army marksmanship drill, is 38 rounds in one minute. That record was set in 1914 by Sergeant Instructor Alfred Snoxall, and still stands. So as you watch Børklop, keep in mind that Snoxall shot that fast for a full minute with a Lee-Enfield nearly 100 years ago!

his mate did 40.8/min!

Back