Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAC Ammunition Quantities

FAC Ammunition Quantities

Hi

I am returning to deer stalking after living in the far east for 20 years where it was very difficult to own a rifle/shotgun etc. I stalked for approx 15 years before leaving and reloaded all my own ammunition (.308/.222/.243)

Everything has move on since returning to the UK for instance, I have a BDS stalkers certificate from 1987 and find it is no longer valid and will have to upgrade to DSC 1. ( which I will do next month with Jon Snowden)

I have become aware that expanding bullets are now counted towards your final ammunition allowance which was not the case 25-30 years ago.

My FAC application is with the Police at present, and I have applied for 150 rounds of ammo for each calibre. .308/6.5x55/.243.

As I intend to reload and bullets are normally sold in 100 boxes:
    a. I need to increase the quantities but by how much and what is reasonable.
    b. If I change before issue does it require a variation.

I do have a FEO visit on 29th, could I make some sort of change at the visit.

Any help as always is appreciated.

thanks

Norm

You might want to test more than one type of ammo with each caliber you are reloading for. As you say they come in boxes of 100 most of the time. I would be asking for a lot more ammo than that.

I think it will be down to you to justify usage? If you only intend to shoot a handful a year then appling for 500 might be excessive? I personnally have 750 for each stalking calibre which is great as it allows me to purchase a decent sized batch of bullets for each. In reality though I rarely have more than 50-100 loaded for each at any one time. My son now has a FAC with another holding so I could now have 950 on my 25.06! The amount you can purchase at one time has now gone. It is just a holding quantity now.
    MS

My allowance is to possess five hundred of each, .222, .243, .308 and 30-06 that is either cartridges or missiles.
    Now you can buy any amount up to the amount you are allowed to hold as long as it doesn't take you over your total amount.
    If I bought 500 and used 100, I could only legally buy another 100 to bring my total back up but if I used 498 of the 500 I bought, I could only buy 400 because to buy 500 would take me over the total I am legally authorised to possess.

PS. before any clever dicks jump on my post, i know the .308 and 30-06 missiles are the same, so in practice I could buy/hold up to 1,000 .30 missiles.
    Last edited by EMcC; 18-04-2014 at 10:46.

Thanks. I understand the mechanism of buying/holding ammo and you are quite correct in what you say, that you don't load all of your allowance. Previously I rarely had more than 150 loaded ammunition so that's what I put on my application for each calibre. Before it did not matter how many expanding bullets you had so it wasn't a problem being limited. As I said my FAC application is in the process and I have a home visit on 29th April.
    500 seems to be a reasonable amount. I will speak to the FEO when he/she visits, but wanted to get a feel if it could be changed from 150 to 500 during the visit.
    anybodies experiences with Northumberland would be appreciated.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer4u0 View Post
    Thanks. I understand the mechanism of buying/holding ammo and you are quite correct in what you say, that you don't load all of your allowance. Previously I rarely had more than 150 loaded ammunition so that's what I put on my application for each calibre. Before it did not matter how many expanding bullets you had so it wasn't a problem being limited. As I said my FAC application is in the process and I have a home visit on 29th April.
    500 seems to be a reasonable amount. I will speak to the FEO when he/she visits, but wanted to get a feel if it could be changed from 150 to 500 during the visit.
    anybodies experiences with Northumberland would be appreciated.
    thanks
    No experience with Northumberland but I've dealt with 4 different authorities in the south due to house moves and there are very few that don't give you what you need so long as it is properly justified. Changing it when you have the visit shouldn't be a problem and it is better to have a high allowance that you don't use fully rather than find you have exceeded a small allowance.

Currently I have only a .22 Rimfire, and a .243 in stock but have permission to purchase a .30-06 and ammunition also.
    I am allowed to possess 500 of each calibre and to purchase 300 expanding bullets or 300 expanding missiles .
    I never buy factory ammo or have large numbers of loaded rounds in stock.

HWH.

Why do you need to upgrade to dsc level 1 ? In fact why do you need a cert of any kind?
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Why do you need to upgrade to dsc level 1 ? In fact why do you need a cert of any kind?
    Probably to justify FAC application? May also wish to sell deer?
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Probably to justify FAC application? May also wish to sell deer?
    MS
    That's the problem though ms it's not the law that you need dsc to get fac and it never had been , if he's going to sell venison fair enough but there's far too many rules and regs around without us volunteering for more
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions