Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When to shoot a lame deer

When to shoot a lame deer

While out after charlie this week I watched a group of roe does feeding. Two looked pretty young (last years), but one of the older ones had a very pronouced limp. Seemed to be a problem with her back leg, she looked to be in good condition otherwise and there was no visible injury to the leg. I decided to leave her and keep an eye out for her and maybe cull her if she still has the problem in a few weeks, out of season on humane grounds. My question is what would other people do in this situation, shoot on sight of an injury, wait for a week/month or leave it be? I am a bit concerned that one of the local unruly dogs will get her, but she may run just fine when the adrenaline is pumping.

If there are unruly dogs locally that are in the habit of chasing Deer then keep a very close eye out.
    If you 'lame' Deer is a mature animal she will probably be pregnant, so and undue chasing by dogs could cause her to abort and she may die anyway.

You're out of time ............

http://www.bds.org.uk/close_seasons_for_deer.html
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post

I think you will find deer can be killed out of season with good reason ie 'coup de grace', and this is the question being posed in the OP ?

SD Regular
    To answer the OP question, you have done the most important thing, which is assess condition. It's possible it's an old injury or birth defect that she's coping fine with. The reason to shoot on humane grounds (out of season) IMHO is based on assessment of suffering and an objective stalker (which you clearly are as you're asking the question) will know instinctively when that time is right. You clearly watched for a while and the fact that you didn't feel the need to pull the trigger should tell you all you need to know. Next time you see her, it might be different - and that's the way if it. A gammy leg without open wound/difficulty walking and affecting wider condition is not reason to cull on humane grounds in my book.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I would also be cautious. I would want see clear evidence of an open or infected wound or something unrecoverable before I pulled the trigger on something out of season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    To answer the OP question, you have done the most important thing, which is assess condition. It's possible it's an old injury or birth defect that she's coping fine with. The reason to shoot on humane grounds (out of season) IMHO is based on assessment of suffering and an objective stalker (which you clearly are as you're asking the question) will know instinctively when that time is right. You clearly watched for a while and the fact that you didn't feel the need to pull the trigger should tell you all you need to know. Next time you see her, it might be different - and that's the way if it. A gammy leg without open wound/difficulty walking and affecting wider condition is not reason to cull on humane grounds in my book.
    I'd agree with that.

Fused joints from old injuries are not uncommon. If she looked in good order other than a limp as others have said, tells you all you need to know.

Although this is not a situation I have found myself in - my threshold to shoot would be quite low. Just because deer with fractures can fuse into a usable leg or it might get better do not (in my opinion) justify leaving the deer to suffer with the painful limb.

This might be the last time you see the deer before it slowly suffers in the undergrowth and starves to death as sepsis takes over.

You could argue that by NOT shooting the deer you were actually guilty of causing unnecessary suffering.......

If it's anything other than fractionally abnormal I would shoot the deer - whether in season or not.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Although this is not a situation I have found myself in - my threshold to shoot would be quite low. Just because deer with fractures can fuse into a usable leg or it might get better do not (in my opinion) justify leaving the deer to suffer with the painful limb.

This might be the last time you see the deer before it slowly suffers in the undergrowth and starves to death as sepsis takes over.

You could argue that by NOT shooting the deer you were actually guilty of causing unnecessary suffering.......

If it's anything other than fractionally abnormal I would shoot the deer - whether in season or not.