Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a Minefiled

What a Minefiled

I've been browsing through various threads here about this re loading mullarky and on some things I've a bit more understanding but theres still a lot to confuse me. (easily confused so forgive me)
    Right, I can look at the sticky on here that shows how to make a bullet, or videos on utube etc. But where do I look if I just want to set up one round for all my deer stalking activities. As I shoot - hopefully Red, Roe and Sika if I can find them! ie, what bullet to choose, who's powder to use, or even the type of powder, how much powder. Is there somewhere I can go to that says make up x y z and that will do the job. Buying a kit to make them is complicated enough but nothing to the minefiled of working out what the make up of the round is going to be.
    Hopefully someone can make this look easier than I can see it!

Salmo

Every rifle is unique so a load for someone else's rifle will be different to yours, so anyone who posts a recipe on here will be a guide ONLY.

I suggest you get a reloading manual, find a bullet (weight / brand) you can get locally, find a powder for that bullet from the manual again pick a powder that you can source locally. Then follow the guides on here how to make it all into a round.

You can get to caught up in bullet / powder selection. I use 150gn Sierra SP and 150gn Nosler BT for deer in my .308 with N140 powder. Not sure what calibre you have.
    Last edited by timbeech; 18-04-2014 at 10:45.

My reloads seem to work OK on your ground, PM me and we will see about getting you sorted.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo Salar View Post
    I've been browsing through various threads here about this re loading mullarky and on some things I've a bit more understanding but theres still a lot to confuse me. (easily confused so forgive me)
    Right, I can look at the sticky on here that shows how to make a bullet, or videos on utube etc. But where do I look if I just want to set up one round for all my deer stalking activities. As I shoot - hopefully Red, Roe and Sika if I can find them! ie, what bullet to choose, who's powder to use, or even the type of powder, how much powder. Is there somewhere I can go to that says make up x y z and that will do the job. Buying a kit to make them is complicated enough but nothing to the minefiled of working out what the make up of the round is going to be.
    Hopefully someone can make this look easier than I can see it!

Salmo
    You can't learn to reload on the internet. Get a book on the subject and read it. Then take up JAYB's kind offer.~Muir

Salmo,
    State what rifle you have, caliber, quarry, type of hunting and ranges.
    There will be many people with the same, who can save you a lot of wasted time, and get you into the ballpark. But you have to do the final work with your rifle and learn it.

The rifle is a Sauer 202, caliber 308, quarry Red, Roe and Sika. Open hill and woodland stalking. Currently using Sako 123gr factory ammo. And although I've had no bad experiences with them when you look at the bullets together there are differences, so what that will do to my accuracy has always been a doubt. But on saying that, it hasn't let me down yet and I generally take neck or head shot in the forest and even the open ground if the range is suitable. If further out then the boiler room or shoulder if forest.
    JAYB I'll pm later, meant to be working!

I have the same rifle, a Lux in walnut. I have posted some 150 and 165 gr loads here already, and will gather them up and post them again.
    What powders and bullets are available to you?

As I've no experience of reloading I couldn't be 100% but as I'm up in the highlands with a few good gunshops I'd think I'd have access to most makes.

A good place to begin is with a 150-gr bullet, flat base, like the Hornady, Speer, or Sierra Pro Hunter.
    You don't need expensive bullets for deer or for accuracy and performance on them to 300 yards.

Your brass will make some difference, as the heavier brass like Lapua has less capacity, so the pressures run up with a bit less powder.
    Start with powders in the same speed range and work up

H-4895 42.0 working up to 44.0
    IMR-4895 41.5 working up to 44.0
    N-140 42.0 working up to 45.0
    RL-15 42.0 working up to 45.5 gr
    Varget 42.0 working up to 45,0

all of these with normal LR primers like Remington 9.5, CCI 200, Federal 210 2.80 inches overall length.
    all working up about 0.5 gr first cut
    then close in and work 0.2 gr at a time

Call the shop, see what they have.
    I will post real loads from my 2 Sauers and some that work in every .308 of mine, when I get a little time.

See this recent thread
    18 .308 loads or quick load help

===== some loads I posted before, not just for my Sauer or SHR 970 ==============

Lapua .308 is a little heavier, holds less powder, gets to pressure with less powder.

177.0 grain case, holds 55.85 grains H2O.

You don't have to load them all hot to be useful.

---- 155-gr -----------------
    Duplicate the Lapua Palma Match ammunition with
    155-gr Lapua Scenar BC = 0.508)
    Lapua brass
    45.2-gr Varget, RL-15 or N140
    44.0 gr IMR-4895
    Federal 210 Match or CCI BR-2 primer
    2.80 inches ( regulation )
    2,825 FPS in a 600mm / 24 inch barrel

45.6 gr IMR-4895 in a strong match gun, same brass and primers will get 2,900 to 3,000, depending on barrel length. I am not advising you to play around up there

But put a 150-gr Hornady SST or Sierra GK in there in place of the 155, drop the load a bit, because the 155 Palma has less friction by far.

----- 125-gr Light load ------------------------
    You don't need to hot-rod the light bullets to get performance. They are not made for hunting up close, anyway.

44.0 gr of 4895 will run a 125-gr Sierra or Nosler BT at 3,000 fps.
    42.5 gr is better, a 200 yard match load for the M1A, at about 2,800 fps.

125gr BT, 45.2 VV-N140, Lapua case, 2.850", Rem #9.5 primer, 2810 FPS

125gr BT, 45.4 gr IMR 4895, Lapua case, 2.845", 210M primer, 2924 FPS

------ 150 gr -----------------------

Lapua again, CCI 200, Fed 210, Rem 9.5 primer
    150-gr Sierra GK, 43.5 gr IMR-4895 (very accurate)
    Last edited by Southern; 18-04-2014 at 15:57.

In all honesty as already suggested get a good book on reloading and learn from true experts in the field, that way you can learn all about "pressure" then when you understand the all the dangers you will reload all the ammunition you want and find a load that suits you, I would highly recommend modern reloading by Richard lee it will tell you everything you will ever need to know to reload accurate ammunition safely.