Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tikka t3 synthetic barrel free float

Tikka t3 synthetic barrel free float

Hi guys
    I have a new tikka T3 with a lite synthetic stock, I have just had this hydro dipped in a camo pattern. After putting the stock back on the rifle after dipping I decided to check the barrel free float using a 10 note. If I pull the 10 note backwards towards the trigger guard it catches about 4 inches from where the barrel is fitted to the action, on removing the stock I can see that there is a raised channel moulding in the stock at the part where it catches, I doubt the dipping has had any affect but didn't think to check the free float prior to dipping.

I would very much appreciate if anyone with a T3 lite could check theirs for comparison as I would have expected the barrel to free float all the way up to where it screws in to the action, mine doesn't , is this normal?

many thanks.
    Last edited by paultap; 20-04-2014 at 13:32.

Hi Paultap, I have just tried mine and it will stop about 3 1/2 inches from the action. But if you would like to send me 'your' tenner I will gladly use it to compare !

Quote Originally Posted by bullet chucker View Post
    Hi Paultap, I have just tried mine and it will stop about 3 1/2 inches from the action. But if you would like to send me 'your' tenner I will gladly use it to compare !
    Quality
    A 20 is better as ive found 10 notes vary in thickness

i think ink my sako does that i cant get all the way up to the action

Quote Originally Posted by bullet chucker View Post
    Damn! I've just lit my cigar with my last 10 note.... Will a fiver do? .. Unfortunately due to new EU rules (something to do with the postage of a foreign currency within the EU .. Ie the Pound ) I will be forced to charge you 6 postage and packing for the postage of said fiver.

Many thanks for trying yours, it looks like they may all be the same then.

I had a T3, and tried this and remember it didnt go as far as I thought it should, it was still very accurate, wouldnt wory! Cheers

paul try five pound coins either side ,if theres no room its ok just throw them away, i will check my 223 in 1 min, mine goes all way to end of barrel and meets the action,right on the joint, sorry f got to say mines still in wood
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 18-04-2014 at 20:15.
    DONT START

Yes mine came with a wood stock also (hunter)... I've just acquired a mint synthetic stock and got it hydro dipped, my rifle hasn't been fired yet. I've looked at the inletting on the walnut hunter stock and it has the channel cut right to the action without the same interuption as the synthetic stock. So I guess the walnut stock is fully free floated but the synthetic isn't. I can see that this could be remedied with the use of a small file but given the known accuracy of the synthetic stocked t3 it probably isn't really necessary.

many thanks.
    Last edited by paultap; 18-04-2014 at 21:18.

let us know how you get on paul,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by paultap View Post
    Yes mine came with a wood stock also (hunter)... I've just acquired a mint synthetic stock and got it hydro dipped, my rifle hasn't been fired yet. I've looked at the inletting on the walnut hunter stock and it has the channel cut right to the action without the same interuption as the synthetic stock. So I guess the walnut stock is fully free floated but the synthetic isn't. I can see that this could be remedied with the use of a small file but given the known accuracy of the synthetic stocked t3 it probably isn't really necessary.

many thanks.
    Finally! A Sensible assessment of the situation. If it shoots, it's not a candidate for a 'fix', and considering Tikka's reputation for accuracy it's a wonder that anybody would question their judgement in how they choose to bed a rifle. My rifle T-3 is floated to within a few inches of the receiver as well. ~Muir