Thread: non cleared land. closed fac

non cleared land. closed fac

When I applied for my FAC and my FEO came to do my visit he advised me that if I am out shooting with a friend who has an open FAC we are both legally allowed to shoot our own rifles as long as the open cert holder deems it safe.

Seems a bit far fetched to me

What do you guys think?

if hes is open he is deemed safe and competant, if yours is not then you have to abide by the conditions on yours,simple follow the rules,
    DONT START

As above. Your rifles are held subject to the conditions imposed. You MUST adhere to them regardless of who you're out with.

Open condition = verbal permission only from land owner, Closed condition = written permission from land owner passed to the police firearms cell by yourself, they will then check if the ground is cleared for the calibre.

The open condition as mentioned is the police handing all the trust over to you to make the right call on the ground. Example would be 50 calibre on a golf course!!!!

I was told by Devon and Cornwall this was the easy way to remember how the system works. I used to have this situation with the father n law until he got his license opened up.

Thoughts?

Your friend may shoot his large calibre deer rifle on said land if he has an open ticket even though the police could deem the piece of land to be totally unsuitable for any rifle, in which case with a closed condition you would not be able to shoot there at all.

Ian.

I used to mentor a friend, while he was with me, he could shoot as if 'open' but when his ticket came back from variation, it had no mentor condition, so he had to then get several pieces of land cleared, which we'd been shooting for months. After giving a pile of forms for land to be cleared, they opened up his ticket

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Is this one of those funny situations where if you shoot with his rifle you are a guest, but if you use your own rifle you may be outside your conditions. ....?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    Is this one of those funny situations where if you shoot with his rifle you are a guest, but if you use your own rifle you may be outside your conditions. ....?
    Maybe and maybe not, that will depend on a number of things hence the need to understand exactly what the "estate rifle" exemption is.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I guess it also depends on whether the friend is allowed guests/clients.

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    I used to mentor a friend, while he was with me, he could shoot as if 'open'

Pete
    Not with his own rifle he could'nt, if he did he was seriously contravening the conditions of his licence and is very lucky he still has one

Ian.