Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shorter barrels means faster powder?

shorter barrels means faster powder?

is this true? do you need a faster powder if you have shorter barrels in a given calibre. I shoot a T3 with 20 inch barrels am I better off using a faster powder in them. Looking at loading manuals there is a choice of powders should i try the fastest burning ones first?

Hope this makes sense.

BE

What caliber?

general rule is yes.

Steve.

Yes.

It's an extreme example, but people have mistakenly used pistol powder for reloading rifle calibres and bad things have happened.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

I recently had my 308 chopped from 24 to 20in. I used to exclusively use n140 but decided to try something a touch faster and went for H4895. I am very happy with my choice so far but haven't seen a big difference compared to N140

Quote Originally Posted by 247sniper View Post
    What caliber?

general rule is yes.

Steve.
    6.5x55 using n160 but wondered about N150

Are you getting a fireball out the muzzle or lots of unburnt powder in the barrel?

Quite a dirty barrel, have moderator on so not seen fireball

20" is quite short for the 6.5 IMO. However shouldn't pose any real problem. Do you know what MV you are getting at present? You could try faster powder, or magnum primer. However both will increase pressure so build up a new load if you change these components. What powder are you currently using?

I have found that sometimes I am using a powder that is considered 'slow' for the cartridge in question but speeds are good and accuracy it good so I don't worry about it. I use IMR 7828SSC in my 6.5 with 120 grain bullets. It's considered a 'slow' powder by some but I get 2800+ fps and .3" groups. If it isn't causing a problem I'm not going to lose any sleep over its relative slowness or alleged inappropriateness.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    20" is quite short for the 6.5 IMO. However shouldn't pose any real problem. Do you know what MV you are getting at present? You could try faster powder, or magnum primer. However both will increase pressure so build up a new load if you change these components. What powder are you currently using?
    N160. Most accurate load is only 2300fps which is below deer legal for 120gr. Compromised on a much heavier load giving 2660fps which is deer legal but not as accurate.