Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe deer salt licks and attractants

Roe deer salt licks and attractants

Hi guys,

never tried any of the above before, just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of ones they have had good results with? I have a small 30 acre orchard at my dads and the roe pass through it regular but even though there are a few nice thick patches with brambles etc it's doesn't seem to hold them. Just wondering if there is anything I can do to help persuade them to hang about?

cheers bb

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboab29 View Post
    Hi guys,

never tried any of the above before, just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of ones they have had good results with? I have a small 30 acre orchard at my dads and the roe pass through it regular but even though there are a few nice thick patches with brambles etc it's doesn't seem to hold them. Just wondering if there is anything I can do to help persuade them to hang about?

cheers bb
    Shoot them, that stops them
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

That would be my usual answer tramp but i have been told in no uncertain terms that they have to be left in peace in the orchard!! However if a big buck appears i dont fancy its chances lol

I have used these
    cheap as chips and for the outlay I couldn't really care if the short term benefit is minimal
    have them on two pieces of ground
    the latest ones have certainly been licked by something

Salt Lick Block Plain 2kg

for 10-20 its worth a try

Never had much luck with salt licks infact I don't think they have ever used the ones I put down, best thing is make a purpose made tube feeder and stick some wheat in it a sure fire way of keeping them interested.

I chap came on our stand at last weeks Catton Fair and stated that he had very good success with Roe taking to a salt lick available from Countrywide farming supplies - think these may be the Red Rockies variety so we are going to get a couple this week and trial them on our ground in S. Ayrshire.

Hopefully report back with some success in the coming months..
    www.monarchcountryproducts.co.uk for quality stalking & shooting accessories

We've had good success with the Salz Paste. Not just saying that because we stock it, but it really is handy stuff.

We have found the best way is to smear a bit on three or four trees/stumps in a favoured area and set up a trail cam overlooking the site to ascertain the most popular times for visits.

And for some reason, the roe seem to prefer the aniseed flavour!

Salz Paste Deer Attractant

I've used tube feeders with corn to good effect. Also try adding a pound or two of pigeon conditioner as it contains anniseed which definitely helps. I'm currently trying some goat mix with added molasses, 12 for 20kg enough to fill 3 large tube feeders.

I have not had any success with roe on salt licks but reds love them, for roe i have had more success with mollassas poured over stumps i just hollow them out abit and pour it in, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Tried salt licks with roe and not found them any good even when drizzled with molasses they don't seem to use them.