Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loads for 9.3x74r

Loads for 9.3x74r

Hi guys,I've recently purchased a 9.3x74r and am about to get dies and heads etc.can anyone help me in this area as in best combination.i thought it best to reload as a box of 20 is working out at 70 a box

What was the rifle originally regulated for and what bullets do you have access to?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

9.3x74 R @ www.reloadersnest.com

work loads up though
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Hi topstalker
    I Have also just got a 9.3 x74r mine has being regulated with 285gr bullets.
    I was hopeing to shoot it ths week end but my rfd forgot to email his details to the seller

I have also just ordered 100 rounds of Rws 285 grs to feed it with at 45 for 20 which is not to bad a price for factory and shoots very well in my rifle so i am told.
    I intend to reload for practice using lead cast bullets from dogyrog who has made 9.3 cast bullets for a few people I know.

Bob.
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

45:20 for RWS, that's a very good price for factory ammo Reiver.

Hi,yes I have 100 286grain Winchester,it's a bettinsoli,I actually never thought to ask what it is regulated for? Do you guys practice a lot with the open sights or use optics ? I've been trying it out to 70 yards with opens and it not to bad around a 4'' group but beyond that I think I would need a bit of glass ;-)

They are normally regulated to shoot a 4 shot group with a particular ammo (2 from each) at 50m with 3-4" being acceptable. Contact Bettinsoli and ask them what load the rifle was regulated with, then try to duplicate it. I warn you though that duplicating the regulated load can be most frustrating and that for some mysterious reason O/U are more difficult than SxS.

I have a Unifrance (Zoli Focus) O/U and the best I have managed so far in the way of duplicating the Norma load that it was regulated for is two slightly separated groups 3" apart at 50m by contrast my Chapuis SxS shoots most bullets well (2" or less) and acceptable groups (for an express rifle) out to 100 yards. I have scopes on both mainly for load development as it is much easier to adjust a scope rather than move sights, but in daylight I actually prefer the open sights for the relatively short ranges that these rifles are designed for. Both have excellent open sights that can be picked up very quickly.

I cast bullets myself for practise use, and have molds that produce 175grn bullets for the 8x57irs and 260 & 280grn bullets for the 9.3x74r.

Have you looked on Nitro express for further information?
    Last edited by 8x57; 20-04-2014 at 07:30.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    45:20 for RWS, that's a very good price for factory ammo Reiver.
    That's what I thought as well and the gun Smith who I have bought the rifle of has shot it with the RWS ammo and has warranted as shooting 1 1/2-2" @ 70 yards with the opensights .I just have to wait until Tuesday to give it a go
    and see!! As I have only seen the rifle in photos so far.
    If the Berreta shoots that well I will just leave well alone and,only reload for practice with cast boolits.

Bob

The cheapest that I have seen 9.3x74r ammo in the past has been 71 euro a box and that was from Unifrance. RWS has always been much more costly.

8x57
    Geco 255 grns or there abouts are cheaper still to buy by a couple of pounds if your rifle likes them?.
    But as you say a very good price compared to on the continent for some reason must be the tax/vat