Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pheasant help needed

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Pheasant help needed

I have an excellent opportunity to start a small pheasant rearing concern.
    I have a chance of brooders, feeders, wood to make brooder pens, nipple drinker lines, the free use of a Bristol incubator and hatcher and more.
    So I have a few questions.
    1. Does anybody know of any Bristol incubator pheasant egg inserts as they're £7 ea new
    2. How many 47kg propane cylinders would you normally use until the birds (500/unit) are off the heat
    3. Any advice

Thanks
    in advance
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I have an excellent opportunity to start a small pheasant rearing concern.
    I have a chance of brooders, feeders, wood to make brooder pens, nipple drinker lines, the free use of a Bristol incubator and hatcher and more.
    So I have a few questions.
    1. Does anybody know of any Bristol incubator pheasant egg inserts as they're £7 ea new
    2. How many 47kg propane cylinders would you normally use until the birds (500/unit) are off the heat
    3. Any advice

Thanks
    in advance
    If you go on two bottles per unit you won't be far away depending how well
    the sheds hold the heat
    if it's general 8x8 that is
    regards pete

Just some advice from someone whos got the t shirt, where are your eggs coming from and in what weekly capacity ? and what capacity is the setter ? You do not say how many you hope to do, and over how many hatches, it may be better to buy in day olds if you have to buy eggs in as you could get your total capacity in one hatch instead of over several weeks and having hatches of different ages, I am guessing you dont have any hens to only be thinking about this now so weigh up cost of eggs less percentage hatched as well. Lots of work ahead what ever you decide to do the Bristol setters/hatchers are good bits of kit if i can help with anything else or answer any other questions, please let me know
    Walk little- look often .

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodland stalker View Post
    Just some advice from someone whos got the t shirt, where are your eggs coming from and in what weekly capacity ? and what capacity is the setter ? You do not say how many you hope to do, and over how many hatches, it may be better to buy in day olds if you have to buy eggs in as you could get your total capacity in one hatch instead of over several weeks and having hatches of different ages, I am guessing you dont have any hens to only be thinking about this now so weigh up cost of eggs less percentage hatched as well. Lots of work ahead what ever you decide to do the Bristol setters/hatchers are good bits of kit if i can help with anything else or answer any other questions, please let me know
    Hi and thanks for replies so far.
    Eggs will be coming from local game farm.
    Incubator can handle 6000 eggs and hatcher 2000.
    I had planned to do just 3000 as a gentle start, then increase to 6000 as I'm trying to buy a house with 4acres at the moment
    Sheds i had planned as 8x8 so two bottles good as there are auto switch over valves available too.
    I was thinking of taking just 1000/week to spread the hatch/biting/delivery
    Does anybody have costings of eggs vs. day olds
    And also feed prices this year not that I haven't enquired it's just that I'm drilling into costings at the moment
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Eggs will be just less than half the price of day olds and day old price will be £65 to £80 per hundred depending on your supplier, ask if there from a closed flock or from caught up birds, feed price wil allso vary from company to company and quantity, see if you can buy from someone close buy who is using a lot of food and could pass on some of there discount to you. Small batches of birds are in demand from syndicates and d.i.y. shoots but they all like them later in the season end july/ august, so keep that in mind with your hatching dates, good luck, W.S.
    Walk little- look often .

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Hi and thanks for replies so far.
    Eggs will be coming from local game farm.
    Incubator can handle 6000 eggs and hatcher 2000.
    I had planned to do just 3000 as a gentle start, then increase to 6000 as I'm trying to buy a house with 4acres at the moment
    Sheds i had planned as 8x8 so two bottles good as there are auto switch over valves available too.
    I was thinking of taking just 1000/week to spread the hatch/biting/delivery
    Does anybody have costings of eggs vs. day olds
    And also feed prices this year not that I haven't enquired it's just that I'm drilling into costings at the moment
    I can't be more precise with costings as I'm a poult man these days lol
    However, I'd save your money on changeover valves. Just change the bottle routinely at day 10 and then run the second bottle dry. By that time, the birds won't be as susceptible to a night with no gas, so you can then change back to the original bottle for the last week or so.

If you're doing 3000, then two batches of 1500 won't be a lot harder than 3 of 1000 but gives you an extra spare week to pack everything up

Good luck with it- I miss rearing so much that I now do one lonely shed of partridges just to keep my eye in. Still have to visit the little monsters 4x a day though lol

Don't want to put u off, but a few smaller game farmers have packed it in in my area say just no money in it, esp in some of these wet summers when it's a right struggle to get around on the rearing fields plus keeping poults for longer etc was the final straw. Plus some of these big companies are knocking poults out well cheap (althou u usually get wot u pay for)
    They reckoned u needed to be doing around 20K day olds to make it worh while, and for a shoot/keeper if under 15k better of with poults too, which also saves an awful lot of work

I take it u have already done ur homework and know wot other gamefarmers are in ur neck of woods, i thought the SW had quite a few and a few of the big boys too. Really need to have the word out shortly so u can have orders in for them.
    From wot i can gather is it not quite a cut throat game? Dinae think i'd fancy having a go at it,
    Althou hopefully next year going to rear some greys and pheas under broodies, proper old school, but obviously just for myself

I hated rearing large numbers( especially after a couple years of disease problems) and I was very glad when the estate I worked for started buying in their pheasants.
    However,rearing greys under broodies is something I find gives me great pleasure indeed.
    Nice small bantams (usually silkie crosses) and 18-20 eggs under each.My garden used to have 6 -10 boxes on every year and they made lovely little coveys around my beat.It will be something I shall venture into again when I get the chance

Sounds like you've made your mind up to do it ! I'd concentrate on finding some firm orders from smallish syndicates wanting smaller batches ,gas is cheaper brought bulk generally under £5o a bottle inc 5% vat on gas
    And with the outlay for the first year or two you'll be lucky if all goes well to wipe your own bum let alone have the time too! it's something I never want to do again and I was only small scale .but if your minds made up its a satisfying time consuming sometimes heart breaking job someone's gotta do and good on you and good luck .
    ps here's wishing a dry summer for you
    norma

Got to ask why you would try this? Pheasants keep finding new ways to die and a total amateur will take a hit for sure. Even the experts are amazed by the way poults seem to die for fun.
    Shoots will steer clear of a new venture and with the outlay i can see little if any profit in this. Trailer, 4X4, crates for delivery on top of electricity and gas will be expensive. We were offered 7-8 week olds this year for £3.20 delivered from NI so that is what you are up against..