scope help please

d foxxer

hi all got a problem with scope wont come up any higher on the elevation have run out of adjustment and still hitting 6inches low at 100
I have done it before a couple of times and got round it by packing one of the mounts but cant remember which one front or rear
can someone here jog my memory please thanks in advance foxxer

beleive its the rear mount but im sure someone else will give a defineate answer

What scope is it, farting around packing mounts isnt the answer, if scope is not tracking right it needs looking at, wasting your time and ammo, regards swaro

hi all got a problem with scope wont come up any higher on the elevation have run out of adjustment and still hitting 6inches low at 100
I have done it before a couple of times and got round it by packing one of the mounts but cant remember which one front or rear
can someone here jog my memory please thanks in advance foxxer

The rear mount needs to be raised. On the Sako 75 I had a bit machined off the front ring where it attached to the base. As suggested above, try swapping things round. Regards JCS

right lads its a photon nv only got 4 full turns either way up or down I stuck it on my 20 tac to sort out a lamp shy fox the grouping is tight just 6inch low cant adjust any higher mounts are fine my nightforce was sat in them and had no problems with that I had a tasco years ago that I packed with film negative but cant remember which mount I packed or if rifle was firing high or low but the film neg sorted it for years

What scope is it, farting around packing mounts isnt the answer, if scope is not tracking right it needs looking at, wasting your time and ammo, regards swaro

+1.
What rifle and scope mounts/bases do you have?

Um, have I got this right? It's shooting too low, so we're advocating packing the rear mount. Surely that will tilt it so it shoots even lower.

I think that there must be something amiss for the scope not to be able to adjust enough. I've only had this problem on an air rifle, tried swapping the mounts front to rear and it made no difference, so I had to go the way of shims. You can I believe buy them, although in my case, seeing it was an air rifle, I made some from a coke can. Not ideal for expensive tackle though I should think, but you would not expect that problem with expensive stuff. Other colas are available.

+1.
What rifle and scope mounts/bases do you have?
cooper m21 phoenix touch hole groups at 100 with nightforce perfect tracking sportmatch mounts on weaver bases never had any problem with them but now wearing a photon so no more touch hole groups but managed a 2inch group on a rabbit sillouette after swapping mounts around will try to fine tune it later in the week but that will do for starters I made a mistake using an old door painted white gloss with a black rabbit sillouette pinned on it too much glare back off the white door

Um, have I got this right? It's shooting too low, so we're advocating packing the rear mount. Surely that will tilt it so it shoots even lower.

I think that there must be something amiss for the scope not to be able to adjust enough. I've only had this problem on an air rifle, tried swapping the mounts front to rear and it made no difference, so I had to go the way of shims. You can I believe buy them, although in my case, seeing it was an air rifle, I made some from a coke can. Not ideal for expensive tackle though I should think, but you would not expect that problem with expensive stuff. Other colas are available.

Yes Pedro you need to treat the scope tube the same as you would with open sights i.e. to raise the elevation you either need to raise the rear of the scope or reduce the height at the front of the scope tube. (Think of picatinny rails with built in inclines for use at longer ranges).
I'm in total agreement with your comments begarding there being something amiss.

cooper m21 phoenix touch hole groups at 100 with nightforce perfect tracking sportmatch mounts on weaver bases never had any problem with them but now wearing a photon so no more touch hole groups but managed a 2inch group on a rabbit sillouette after swapping mounts around will try to fine tune it later in the week but that will do for starters I made a mistake using an old door painted white gloss with a black rabbit sillouette pinned on it too much glare back off the white door

Sounds like that may be where your problem lies - mounts and bases. Plus of course very little adjustment in the scope to start with.

Many years ago I had a similar problem & used film negative to pack the scope. It's not the worst thing you can do. For me, it worked a treat.
Eventually when I had some available dosh I bought new mounts & bases, but packing got me out of a hole. ATB

Back