Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 hornet reloading help

22 hornet reloading help

Hi all I am going to start reloading my own 22 hornet ammo. looking at ppu brass it is a lot cheaper than other makes but does it last. I want to use 40g vmax heads and trying 30g barnes heads, should i use hodgdon H110 or lil gun powder? How good is the barnes 30g on foxes as anyone tried them. all advice appreciated.

I normally use 35grn V-Max heads and 13grns Lil Gun, PPU cases. Does the job well. As far as know H110 works better for the heavier heads. PPU brass seems good to me, so far I've had four reloads out of mine and they are showing no signs of deterioration.

Thanks old keeper, I will try the ppu cases what primers do you use small rifle or small pistol.

I use PPU brass and H110 with 35 grain bullets, works great, very accurate and getting just over 3000fps from a 18 inch barrel.
    With heavier bullets like the Hornady 45 grain Hornet soft points, I use Lil'Gun, just as accurate and better when pushing out the range.
    Cases have all exceeded 20 loadings without ever being full length sized, not lost any cases yet, but primer pockets are not as tight as they were
    so maybe time to start on the next batch soon.

Neil.

What rifle?
    Lil Gun and Small Pistol Primers with any bullet weight. ~Muir

PS: This is a weird spot on the site to be posting about a reloading issue.....

On most of the sites he frequents 'introductions' is where he likes to post, it will take him a little while to get used to a normal forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Twts View Post
    On most of the sites he frequents 'introductions' is where he likes to post, it will take him a little while to get used to a normal forum.
    Oh, I'm OK with it. The MODS will catch up to it eventually, I think.~Muir

In my .22 Hornet I used Lilgun powder and achieved excellent results with both 35 and 40 grain vmax. My best load was with the 40 vmax, 13.2 grains of Lilgun gave me 3019ftps and bug hole groups at 100 yards. Rabbits out to 250 yards were in serious trouble.

great cartridge and performance for just 13 grains off powder.

the 40 grin vmax is by far the best bullet in terms of velocities and BC.

best of look and keep us unto to speed.
    Steve.

+1 for Lilgun I found 13 grains was best in mine tryed up to 13.5 but 13 was best for me. Make sure you use a factory crimp die as it improves the accuracy.
    Have fun I love my hornet.

lil gun 35grain v max with 13 grains of powder and a cci primer nice and tight at 100 yards and deadly on charlie!
    LIVE AND LET LIVE! THERES ALWAYS ANOTHER DAY!