Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't stomach meat I've shot

Can't stomach meat I've shot

I feel terrible writing this but it's something that's plagued me since the early days with air rifle and bunnys. I'd love to say everything I shoot is eaten but it's the opposite; I'm fine with taking the shot, cleaning and butchering the animal but I can only consume a mouthful or two before I'm on the brink of gagging!

last night, I shot my first roe. Gralloch done and jointed as best I could (not as bad as it may sound). So, today I've done a haunch with onion, rosemary and bay leaves, covered with bacon and cooked. It smells lovely, looks great and even tastes excellent but one mouthful was all I could take!

Thing is, I'm not thinking about anything or talking myself out of it, as far as I'm aware, it seems to be subconscious. Anyone know a way of getting over this? On this occasion nothing will go to waste but I really would like to be able to enjoy the meat I've put on the table (not to mention the creature that lost its life in the process).

Do you know anyone in your area who stalks, you could swap a beast here and there to stock your freezer?

I know what you mean to some extent, as I've been like that with rabbit and trout I the past. Funnily enough thou I've never had a problem with salmon or venison (think I just like the taste enough to get over any squeamishness).

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Do you know anyone in your area who stalks, you could swap a beast here and there to stock your freezer?
    I don't but not sure how that would help, unless you mean swap what I shoot for lamb, beef etc?

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    Hypnosis.
    Joking aside, it might be an option - assuming there's a hypnotist who knows how to do that!

in many ways, I'm happy sharing the meat around landowners etc but it seems a bit unethical besides the fact id like to get something for my efforts too
    Last edited by Hasbeen; 20-04-2014 at 16:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
    I don't but not sure how that would help, unless you mean swap what I shoot for lamb, beef etc?
    Was meaning that if the problem was due to the fact that you'd been the one shooting and processing the venison, if you did a swap you could avoid any squeamishness. Unless of course it's the taste in which case yes might be a good idea to swap for other meat (something I've done in the past for rabbits).

i know a very well known proliific foxer and stalker in norfolk who is actually a veggy because he simply dislikes meat of any kind and hes a deadly shot as well
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

For what it's worth fella, I have the same issue with Rabbits. I've no issue whatsoever with Pigeon, Pheasant, Deer. However, any Rabbits I shoot are prepared oven ready and given to family and friends. I've no idea what the issue is, I just can't bring myself to eat them, so I empathise completely over your challenge with Deer. Can you eat Venison if served in a Restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
    Joking aside, it might be an option - assuming there's a hypnotist who knows how to do that!

in many ways, I'm happy sharing the meat around landowners etc but it seems a bit unethical besides the fact id like to get something for my efforts too
    I was being serious. Its all in the mind like a phobia which they often sort. Best bet I reckon.