Thread: Sierra Prohunter Bullets

Sierra Prohunter Bullets

Hi,

Has anyone reloaded these in 150g 30cal? would prefer boat tail as opposed to flat base, though will I notice the difference. I am reloading for a .308 with a 20" barrel. Any other bullet reccommendations for Deer?

Cheers

i use prohunter spire point 150s in my 308. I have not had any opertunity to experiment but loaded up some lapua brass with min load of h4895 and seated bullet to standard spec. outstanding accuracy and have taken roe munties and fox up to approx 200yds. i will at some point increase load and see if i can get more velocity with the same level of accuracy but its not a priority to be honest.
    I recently accidently bought some 150g prohunter round nose, they look like pistol bullets. I will load some of therm to the same spec and see what terminal effect is like.

pete

Prohunters

I think I will give the 150g a go, spoke to a guy at Norman Clarks today who said that the flat base design is more accurate than the boat tail out to 300yds as thay need a bit longer to stabilise. This is ideal as like you I will be shooting at ranges of 200 and below. Will let you know how I get on

Cheers

My 21" Riflecraft LSR (rem700) at worst clover leafs and when I stop faffing drops the prohunter 150gr on top of each other..
    My loads are 46gr N140 and also 46gr Varget with same results. The prohunter core seems quite soft and they do open up freely. The boattail ones are the Gamekings.
    I've had a lot of roe and fallow does with the prohunters and like them. Good luck.

Prohunters

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser66
    My 21" Riflecraft LSR (rem700) at worst clover leafs and when I stop faffing drops the prohunter 150gr on top of each other..
    My loads are 46gr N140 and also 46gr Varget with same results. The prohunter core seems quite soft and they do open up freely. The boattail ones are the Gamekings.
    I've had a lot of roe and fallow does with the prohunters and like them. Good luck.
    Hi Mate,

What velocity are you getting with the 46g Varget load?

I was hoping to reduce recoil by loading from 44.0g to 45.0g. have you tried these loads when experimenting? Do they give comparable accuracy? Cheers

I got about 2810fps average from mine (10 feet from the muzzle). Can't remember what the deviation was. Can look it up. It was a pretty chilly day when I tested, the rounds and rifle were cold and it was an average of 6 or 7 shots with a long pause after the first 3.

I have used 44gr Varget and N140 with Nosler 150gr ballistic tip and also 167 Lapua scenar. Didn't chrony them. You can look it up on the 'net, but they say that you get best accuracy around the 42-44gr if I remember, but that's for match shooting. Recoil saving? I wouldn't worry about recoil, there's not that much at 46gr esp if you use a moderator..and I'm a little chap.