Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: venison mincing problems

venison mincing problems

Butchered a lovely fresh roe buck as soon as it cooled as I can't keep it chilled anywhere. Beautiful meat but when mincing with decent ex butchers electric mincer it was more mush than mince! Is this because it was so fresh? And not been allowed to 'set'?
    I have put the mincing off cuts in the fridge overnight to see if it improves.

I had this

comes out like its partially blocked and like you say mush

I didn't realise that the mincing plate and cutter are actually matched to one another after x amount of use..... id put the mincing plate in the other way round form usual and it did this!!
    take out remove any stuff caught on the spindle & cutter , turn mincing plate around and try again ... that cured mine ive marked the face of the plate a wee bit so I know which way round to put it in.

hopefully just this

a'the best
    paul

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    Butchered a lovely fresh roe buck as soon as it cooled as I can't keep it chilled anywhere. Beautiful meat but when mincing with decent ex butchers electric mincer it was more mush than mince! Is this because it was so fresh? And not been allowed to 'set'?
    The blades on the mincer could be blunt causing it to come out like mush

It could be the above, in my experience it minces better when cold, see how you get on after you tried it in the fridge.
    Cheers
    Richard

Thanks lads. We tried turning the mincer plate. Hopefully better colder later today.

Couple of years ago I had to freeze a load before mincing so when I defrosted it some was still a bit frozen and it minced better than anything before. Also if the meat is dry it can come out mushy almost like the internals needed a coating of grease but a bit of blood soom does the trick.

as others have already said but the other thing to look at is try a courser plate too fine can give it mushed mince, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Place in freezer to partially frozen. I always sharpen my blade every couple of usages.
    Also try putting the meat through slower as can be to much blocking it up kind of.

Place in freezer to partially frozen. I always sharpen my blade every couple of usages.
    Also try putting the meat through slower as can be to much blocking it up kind of.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    If blades are sharp
    it could be the fact it was so fresh and still full of blood/fluid
    I find this with young animals if I don't hang it for a few days

if it starts to mush up when I begin mincing
    I bang it in the freezer for a few hours till semi frozen
    then mince it
    seems to work for me

UKDTR. Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service