Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ammo

ammo

hi guys
    can some one help? when doing your dcs1 range assessment is factory ammo all that can be used.
    or can you use home loads. i ask as i have a custom 260 and i have spent a long time developning a load that is super accurate for my rifle.
    after all the range assessment is all about how safe & accurate you are.

It has to be factory ammo. You only need to hit a 4" circle at 100yds and less, so being "super accurate" isn't important.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Nozer View Post
    hi guys
    can some one help? when doing your dcs1 range assessment is factory ammo all that can be used.
    or can you use home loads. i ask as i have a custom 260 and i have spent a long time developning a load that is super accurate for my rifle.
    after all the range assessment is all about how safe & accurate you are.
    I recommend you consult your course provider. Given the circumstances you describe, I don't see any issue with you using your rifle and your ammunition, however the course provider may have a different view.

Regards

JCS

The idea of the range course is to be run using what would 'normally' be used by a stalker in the field.
    Where a rifle has been provided by the course instructors I have known them provide reloaded ammo with it, at a price of course !!
    So if you are using your own rifle, then I cannot see there being an issue with the ammo you use provided it is 'Deer Legal' ie soft or hollow point and the correct calibre.
    To be on the safe side, as has already been said, I suggest you address any questions to the course provider.

http://basc.org.uk/basc-training-cou...tificate-dsc1/

"If bringing your own rifle, it must be a deer legal calibre. Ammunition should be factory produced (no home loaded ammunition)"
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

When I did my dsc, about 18 months ago there where 2 guys who used there home loads

Atb
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    http://basc.org.uk/basc-training-cou...tificate-dsc1/

"If bringing your own rifle, it must be a deer legal calibre. Ammunition should be factory produced (no home loaded ammunition)"
    As an RCO having run ranges for the BDS courses in the past, I am surprised to see that.
    As long as the ammunition is 'Deer Legal' as in calibre and type I have never heard of any other questions asked or checks made.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    As an RCO having run ranges for the BDS courses in the past, I am surprised to see that.
    As long as the ammunition is 'Deer Legal' as in calibre and type I have never heard of any other questions asked or checks made.
    When I did mine, Jelen were very strict on this, so they, and BASC, are the only benchmarks that I have... However (caveat alert!!!), it's obviously not set in stone - like .270 for boar

Can only say it again - SD is a great resource and people are keen to help. But ultimately the font of knowledge for the specific course etc you are doing is the provider. They should be eager to assist with any and every query that you may have.

People tend to genuinely report as they find from their experience, but their particular circumstances may have a bearing on things.

For the DSC1 shooting test, any DSC guidelines have to take second place to the Range Certification and any insurance stipulations. Hence the variation in experiences. So nothing in the DSC shooting test regulations preclude using that 7.82 Lazzaroni Warbird or the blown 30-378 etc, but the range velocity parameters may do so.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Ammo 'should' be..... not must be

having said that how would I know the difference if reloads were in factory packaging when a candidate turns up to do their assessment that they know will shoot best in their rifle??

Guidance is not Policy
    Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 21-04-2014 at 15:04.