Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 semi auto

.22 semi auto

hello. at the moment I have a .17 hmr I use for rabbits, since the reds are out of season for a few months I have decided to concentrate my efforts on the rabbits on my permissions. I fancy a .22 semi auto as its less movemens when shoting from the truck and I can shoot multiple rabbits without having to move off sight, i shot one the other night as my lamping buddy has a ruger 10 22 so i am thinking of one of those, i will buy the rifle from sportsmans but have noticed the colt and hk versions on there website so i am now unsure as to what rifle to buy, the rifle will be a truck gun so i am not to worried about how it looks my main concern is accuracy and reliability. so anyone that owns any of the above if you could let me know what you think and how accurate etc then that would be fantastic. thanks all

Personally I'd never buy a .22 semi and definately not a 10 /22 far too many issues with them , if I had to buy a semi I'd look for an anshutz 525 as that's the only one I've seen perform with any decent degree of accuracy , no doubt there will be lots of 10/22 owners on here who rate them but only after spending twice the price of the rifle to get them to shoot right , in my opinion you shouldn't have to
    atb Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

I tried a 10 22 and found the accuracy and reliability were very poor,have a look a the Browning Buckmark a much nicer compact rifle for not a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Personally I'd never buy a .22 semi and definately not a 10 /22 far too many issues with them , if I had to buy a semi I'd look for an anshutz 525 as that's the only one I've seen perform with any decent degree of accuracy , no doubt there will be lots of 10/22 owners on here who rate them but only after spending twice the price of the rifle to get them to shoot right , in my opinion you shouldn't have to
    atb Jim
    I have to agree with all that Jimbo has said. I had a 10/22 and had "issues" with it, nothing serious but niggling little things and it was quite ammo fussy. I now have an Anschutz 525 fitted with a Sirrocco moderator and never get any problems with it. It is quite accurate (More than accurate enough for head shooting rabbits out to about 75 yards) and recycles most types of ammo without any fuss - I use Magtec Subsonics which it really does like and shoots extremely accurately and has (Up to now) never jammed once while shooting with them.

I have three 10/22's and they operate faultlessly. Of course, I'm not adverse to tossing my mags in an ultrasonic cleaner once in a while to get out the powder residue -something UK shooters seem to think is unnecessary. ALL semi auto 22's need to be disassembled and cleaned and lubricated for proper function. If the shooter doesn't do this and the gun stops working, it's not the guns fault. That said...

Unless you can find a sweet deal on a Brno 581 autoloader with a half dozen extra magazines get a good bolt action. CZ or Brno...~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have three 10/22's and they operate faultlessly. Of course, I'm not adverse to tossing my mags in an ultrasonic cleaner once in a while to get out the powder residue -something UK shooters seem to think is unnecessary. ALL semi auto 22's need to be disassembled and cleaned and lubricated for proper function. If the shooter doesn't do this and the gun stops working, it's not the guns fault. That said...

Unless you can find a sweet deal on a Brno 581 autoloader with a half dozen extra magazines get a good bolt action. CZ or Brno...~Muir
    Only sporting shooters Muir. Those that shoot gallery rifle .22 with 10/22 rifles find that regular cleaning is essential. Your idea about throwing them in the ultrasonic cleaner is something that I have passed on to several rifle club members as dis-assembling and re-assembling 10/22 mags for cleaning can be a bit of a pain.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I've had a CZ512 for some time now, most accurate semi auto I've ever had.

i know its not an auto but, cz 452 22lr no worrys no probs only a little trigger adjustment,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    i know its not an auto but, cz 452 22lr no worrys no probs only a little trigger adjustment,

^^ This ^^

I tried a 10/22 and liked it a lot, if kept clean, which is no great chore.

However, they may be faster, but they make a lot more noise, which I found counter-productive under most of my shooting conditions...

I've ended up getting more rabbits with a bolt action than I ever did with a S/A, despite shooting slower with it.

Circumstances vary, obviously, but the above probably just goes to show something.

Shot less and do it faster, or shoot more and do it slower.

Hmmmm...

I have been shooting a Marlin 99 semi-auto .22 LR for 50 years, the same one. It is an absolute tack driver. I shot if for years with a little 6x Weaver scope. It now wears a Hawke 4x32mm Mil Dot, which lets me precisely hold over to extreme ranges on vermin. When I was in my 20s, I used to go to the city dump and shoot rats until I tired of it, at 50 to 80 yards.

One friend has a CZ 511 which is very nice and very accurate. Another has a CZ 512 semi-auto in .22 WMR, and it is very accurate.