Looking for a reliable CHEAP 4x4

Grand Slam

Morning guys and girls. Hope everyone had a good Easter Weekend.

I am currently in the process of selling my Honda Accord (It's on the flea of bay if anyone wants a nice car lol)

Anyway I have been offered a Honda CRV i-VTEC SE Sport 2.0l from a friend of my wife for a reasonable price but the only thing really stopping me from committing is that it is a Petrol and not diesel.

Basically what i would like to know is does anyone know where i can look for a relatively cheap 4x4. The budget will all depend how much my car sells for but i would imagine it would be in the region of £1600-£2000.

Many thanks in advance.

P.S The 4x4 will need to be utilised as a family car also until i buy the wife a little run around

ATB

Adam

I have just found a Land Rover Freelander 2.0 Td4 S for £1750 so might have to go take a look at it. Anyone using one of these?

unless you folks kept all the good ones and sent all the junk here, I'd keep looking... Neighbor has one (8 years old?) and has had a transmission, rear end, and some front end work... He has to keep fixing cause nobody will buy it.... Have to check prices/availability in your area, but a kia sorento with the 2.5 diesel is real nice.. Takes just at 10 liters/100km on the autobahn (11-12 pulling a loaded horse trailer) and is comfortable to drive. Ours is a 2006 and has had an idler pulley replaced and an intank fuel filter replaced aside from the normal book services. Sportage are nice also but not sure they are any better on fuel for the size difference.

What's wrong with petrol? I'm not a great fan of modern diesels any more after my X Trail! More tax, diesel costs more and bloody EGR valves and complicated injector systems are more trouble tha they are worth. Petrol Vitara is the way ahead! Much quieter too!
MS

What's wrong with petrol? I'm not a great fan of modern diesels any more after my X Trail! More tax, diesel costs more and bloody EGR valves and complicated injector systems are more trouble tha they are worth. Petrol Vitara is the way ahead! Much quieter too!
MS

Hi MS.

i would take any p or d, but i have to admit the petrol 1.6 16v 5 speed is a nice wee motor. crept up a stone track on 2 mates sat having a fag in their truck wait to meet up ;).

great wee trucks and need to be given a tad more respect for just how good they are.

bob.

Bought a Daihatsu fourtrack 2.8td , 1998 , 120k miles last October for just under 2k , they are out there good luck.

I would recomend Isuzu as have 4 Isuzu's in the family, but not trooper we own the imported version Bighorn, which is fitted with loads of extras and are auto transmission.
We have the 3.1 t/d model and have never had any major problems, I highly recommend the Bighorn as apposed to the Trooper.
The best engine is the 3.1 t/d,its bullet proof as long as you carry out regular services.They are available in your budget JUST. Hope this helps.p.s we have had no major issues this far and have owned them for the last 8/9 years.P.M me if you want any more info.h.t.h Tich

Last edited:
Hi Adam

LWB, the boot space was ok with mine but only used to have 1 dog in the back, no issues going to the seaside in it with her and the 2 wee ones,

i sold it to a chap right up north on this forum and i think he has not long sold it,

i love mine as the spares are easy to come buy if you can do a bit of nut crunching on your own.

i used www.difflock.com for all my spares ar a chap called rhino ray down in brighton.

just wish i had not gone and got the saab for work as i lost a fair bit of land when i sold it ?

bob.

Hi Adam

LWB, the boot space was ok with mine but only used to have 1 dog in the back, no issues going to the seaside in it with her and the 2 wee ones,

i sold it to a chap right up north on this forum and i think he has not long sold it,

i love mine as the spares are easy to come buy if you can do a bit of nut crunching on your own.

i used www.difflock.com for all my spares ar a chap called rhino ray down in brighton.

just wish i had not gone and got the saab for work as i lost a fair bit of land when i sold it ?

bob.

Bob,

Im a fitter in the Royal Engineers so spanner Wa****g is my job lol. When i say i have 2 dogs what i mean is I have a lab and the missus has some pomeranian thing which will probably spend the majority of its time on her lap.

Do you have an email for your mate or is he a member on here then we can chat?

Thanks again

ATB

ADam

http://www.laighwood.co.uk/

post him a email here and mention that i sent you the details,

rob will know me as Scotland rifles as i was in a scotish regiment that he knows off.

love the above.

bob.

Last edited:
+ one with Daven on the diesel sorento, we have had one for 5 years (2005 model) now has 115,000miles and the only failure was a turbo seal at 90,000miles. they use the mercedes sprinter engine and do 30mpg if you dont nail them.
Paul

If you are going off road in 4wd then forget about miles per gallon they all drink the fule i have had the l200 animal toyota hilux vigo and 2 rangers got to say all about the same on diesel when off road 20 mpg at best .i brought a subaru forester 2.0L petrol for £500. and thats the worst yet ,the good things about diesel's is that they dont stall as easy, put in 1st and just tick over will get you out of most sticky sports ,land rovers will cost you money all the time unless you are spending alot of money on a fairly new one .when i replace the subaru i think honda CRV or RAV4 or the vitara's are good but what ever i get i wont go over 1.8 L as the smaller engines diesel or petrol are better on fule .the way i look at it if car cost me 500 and i dont spend a penny on it for 1 year then get 120 back for scrap its only cost me 7.31 a week to have that car .Off cause i have got to insure it and tax it.

Last edited:
if you're not trying to keep up an image, look at a little frt wheel drive car (or one of the AWD's like a subaru justy)... I just bought a fiat punto... Decent room (will fit a dog cage or carcass tub without folding down the seat), and has done fine in any conditions I have needed it to so far (access roads, pastures, and forestry roads)... I do a lot of start/stop town driving and puttering around forestry roads and country roads and the worse it has done is 6 liters/100km.. I had a kia sportage with the 2.0 gasoline engine and it was thirsty (16 liters/100km) in my conditions. The bigger subarus are just too thirsty....

Back