Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What next ?

What next ?

Afternoon gents looking for a little bit of advice as to what to do next calibre wise ,
    i have a 7 08 which is a cracking gun and I want to keep and a .22 I'm looking at a light calibre I can use on vermin and deer I was looking at .222 but all I can use it on south of the border muntys and cwd , I'm not fussed over a .243 was thinking 6 mm be or 6.5x47 but will that be too close to my 7 08 to make any odds ??
    atb Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

For vermin and all deer 6.5x47 but as you already have one of the best deer calibre's available I would go to the .222 .

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    For vermin and all deer 6.5x47 but as you already have one of the best deer calibre's available I would go to the .222 .
    That's what I'm thinking , the only problem I have is I can't use it for roe in England , the ground I'm thinkng if using it on only has roe and muntys so if roe are on the menu I can't use the .222

It's a shame that England and Wales don't follow Scotlands lead on this issue as I really rate the .222,.223 or even 22/250 as a vermin come small deer calibre.
    Reckon you should just bite the bullet mate and buy a .22 and another deer legal rifle

Myself,I will be saving for a ruger No.1 in 22/250 flavour once I get fixed up in a job for the vermin side of things

Quote Originally Posted by perdix View Post
    It's a shame that England and Wales don't follow Scotlands lead on this issue as I really rate the .222,.223 or even 22/250 as a vermin come small deer calibre.
    Reckon you should just bite the bullet mate and buy a .22 and another deer legal rifle

Myself,I will be saving for a ruger No.1 in 22/250 flavour once I get fixed up in a job for the vermin side of things
    Tut tut you are naughty trying to convince me to go for two more although I do fancy having a .303 again ..... Lol I know it's daft we can't use the .22 centrefire on roe here

i think a .22 and just stck as I am deer wise unless someone can convince me a 6 mm br is worth having ??

Well Jimbo if you get near 30 cal then a parker Hale Custom 1 or 4 303, just because you love them. Or a 270, they are a good round, only 48 Thou. larger that a 222 (^_^)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilo View Post
    Well Jimbo if you get near 30 cal then a parker Hale Custom 1 or 4 303, just because you love them. Or a 270, they are a good round, only 48 Thou. larger that a 222 (^_^)
    Hi mate how's the lithgow sporter doing ? I miss mine
    i certainly do have a hankering for a .303 again just not sure I could justify it at the min
    atb Jim

6.5x47 or 25-06

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    6.5x47 or 25-06
    I was thinking of the 6.5x47 but thought it was a little too close to the 7 08... 25 06 maybe an option

A 240 wby. It's really just equal to a 25 06 but it's "a little bit fancy" if thats what your really seeking.

Cheers Sharkey