Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rem260

Rem260

Hi all I need sum info
    is the Remington 260 a suitable caliber for all uk deer
    species.

I would say so , a very capable round.

Im sure anything from .240 upwards is suitable for all uk deer species

Clearly I've been doing something wrong since 1999 as I've just got my fourth rifle/fifth barrel in 260 Rem. I like it a lot. There are many other options out there that will perform equally well or better, but the 260 Rem is the one that I'm trying to get the hang of.

Best regards

JCS

Aye, it's certainly legal and capable. Its another of the current new batch of calibre that have filtered through the target shooting community and gained the attention of stalkers like the 280, grendal, 6.5x47, 6XC etc. If lucky it'll stick but I fear it'll fade out when the supposed journalist experts move onto the next fad calibre.

I've already seen second hand 260s sold for ridiculously low prices.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    Aye, it's certainly legal and capable. Its another of the current new batch of calibre that have filtered through the target shooting community and gained the attention of stalkers like the 280, grendal, 6.5x47, 6XC etc. If lucky it'll stick but I fear it'll fade out when the supposed journalist experts move onto the next fad calibre.

I've already seen second hand 260s sold for ridiculously low prices.
    I bought my first 260 Rem to go stalking with in 1999 and that's still it's main job. It's only recently that I've started to read about it being used for target shooting.

Regards

JCS

I can't honestly say it's perfect for UK as I've never set foot in the country . I can however say that I've killed a large amount of whitetails and a couple Sika with the little Remington Model 7 in 260 REM I bought when the cartridge first hit the shops here in the USA .

I first used the Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip in my reloads and killed a couple nice whitetail bucks . Later I went exclusively to the Nosler 125 grain Partition bullet in my reloads . The little rifle was great for carry and shot very nicely as well !

I've owned that Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic as well as a Remington 700 BDL stainless synthetic with a detachable magazine and killed deer with both . I've also owned a pair of handrifles for the cartridge , a Remington XP-100R and a Savage Stryker stainless 510 . The two handrifles shot a good bit better then I could hold them .

At the moment I don't own a 260 REM , but at some point I hope to get an older Remington 700 short action and barrel it with a Shilen stainless #2 or #3 contour 1-8 twist and finished at 20" . Should make a nice treestand offering .

My stalking rifles are .243,.260 and .308.

The one I uses the most is .260 rem ! I use the .243 for a summer muntjack rifle(sauer 202 stutzen) and the .308 for long range Fallow when I cant get close ( its an AIAE)
    The .260 is a light weight Remington model 7 stainless with moderator and it the rifle I pick up first !!

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nozer View Post
    Hi all I need sum info
    is the Remington 260 a suitable caliber for all uk deer
    species.
    The .260 Rem is a very capable 6.5mm calibre and is suitable for all species of UK deer when used in normal hunting situations.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I bought my first 260 Rem to go stalking with in 1999 and that's still it's main job. It's only recently that I've started to read about it being used for target shooting.

Regards

JCS
    Bought my first one on the century range at Bisley around 2002/3 after swallowing all the hype bouncing around. We live and we learn.