Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Illegal road kill?

Illegal road kill?

Hi all is it legal to have a road killed protected species stuffed (ie bird of prey or badger) thanks for any comments

I know of a few people with birds of prey stuffed that were found.One fella I know had one fly into his brothers patio doors and break its neck,no problems in getting it stuffed so road kill should be ok.Not sure on badgers though.
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    I know of a few people with birds of prey stuffed that were found.One fella I know had one fly into his brothers patio doors and break its neck,no problems in getting it stuffed so road kill should be ok.Not sure on badgers though.
    dave
    Ditto

My pal makes sporrans for the Black Watch and Argyll regiments and i kept him going with roadside otters and badgers and he can no longer use these as the skins now must be traceable. Last 5-6 years i think.
    Last edited by RED-DOT; 22-04-2014 at 06:38.

Perhaps Sika Malc or one of the other one of the taxidermists on the site will be able to advise you Savage but I thought that they could be mounted but only after obtaining a licence.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Go find.... Taxidermy Law
    And a nice example in the FAQ's: Taxidermy Law

This is exactly what happened to me. I found a dead Tawny Owl on the way back from stalking one morning so took it to the taxidermist who mounted it for me and did, I think, a top job:

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Though it perhaps shows better from this angle:

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I think, (not 100% sure) that for birds of prey you need to apply to natural England, DEFRA or whatever they're called now for an Article 10 .

I found an otter by side of road at my mates and asked bout this as was my plan to have it done as was ok condition but was warned it wasn't worth the hassle and grilling / paperwork ... this came from the taxidermist ...he wasn't keen .

ended up phoning local fisheries dept.... they were chuffed to bits to come pick it up and dissect for students and university mob see if they could get more info on local populations...or so I was told .

sorry cant be more help don't know any relevant laws etc in detail, this just personal experience.... same lad didn't have any problem with doing an owl tho....it flew into power lines and was picked up & taxied. I have this.... dunnoe if legal or not etc.

paul