Thread: MV & POI Differences

MV & POI Differences

Yesterday I checked out with my chrono, two boxes of .25-06Rem. ammo. I had loaded . Everything in respect of case prep, the recipe and the bullet was identical except for one thing. One box was several times fired cases and due to be annealed, the other box were anneald cases.

The anneald cases produced an average MV of 3146fps with 28fps ES.
    The not yet anneald cases produced an average MV of 3099fps with 32fps ES

The difference in POI @ 100yds was 1.5" (The faster load POI lower than the slower...) I was surprised at that, considering were only talking about 47fps difference between the two loads. Obviously this was just a field test using my Chrony, nevertheless it has provided interesting benchmark data.

I'm of the opinion the anneald cases seal faster and better than the un-anneald ones and so different chamber pressure is generated...just my thought.
    Has anyone experienced similar or have any comments? ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

not on the annealed vs non-annealed but that seems sensible (and is why crimping can help)
    but I have two loads for the .222 one of which is much slower and lands 2.5" higher at 100yds.

POI comes from the exit point in the rifle barrel wave as it flexes
    exiting at a point when barrel is pointing higher

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    not on the annealed vs non-annealed but that seems sensible (and is why crimping can help)
    but I have two loads for the .222 one of which is much slower and lands 2.5" higher at 100yds.

POI comes from the exit point in the rifle barrel wave as it flexes
    exiting at a point when barrel is pointing higher
    Ah... It sounds counterintuitive for a faster MV to have a lower POI, but this helps makes sense of it!!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    not on the annealed vs non-annealed but that seems sensible (and is why crimping can help) but I have two loads for the .222 one of which is much slower and lands 2.5" higher at 100yds. POI comes from the exit point in the rifle barrel wave as it flexes exiting at a point when barrel is pointing higher
    As a matter of note, I started crimping my loads a while back & there's a great deal to be said about the consistency of MV & ES as a result. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!