Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hawke scopes? Has any try these or have any experience with them???

Hawke scopes? Has any try these or have any experience with them???

Hi SD peeps

Does anyone have strong feelings about the use of Hawke Scopes, I have enough budget to get a basic leupold/ziess but am i just paying for the name at the lower end of market??

Hawke Optics UK | Hawke Riflescopes

Thanks
    Bladerunner

It's horses for courses.

I have an sr pro multi-aim point on my .22lr so I can shoot accurately out to 100 yards. It's great bunny getter.
    If it's for a stalking rifle though, I'd go for one of the good european makes, even if it is second hand.

What do you have in mind for it?.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

I have a Hawke Night Eye 3-9 on my .22lr. It does the job, but the clarity compared to European scopes is pretty poor. I get a hazy sight picture compared to my other scopes, and for this reason I would not recommend one. Another option worth considering if the budget is tight is the MTC Viper or Taipan. These are pretty clean optics for the money, but you will not go wrong with Minox, Meopta, or the other better known European makers depending on your budget.

You don't say what size, magnification, cartridge, rifle or intended use for your rifle.

I put a Hawke Sport HD 4x32mm Mil Dot on a .30-30 to test loads, and was so impressed that I mounted it on a .22 LR, bought another for myself, and gave one to a friend for his 10/22. It has an etched reticle, and as others note, the dots let you range and shoot to 100 yards.

I just ordered a 2-7x32 AO Mil Dot for a nice bolt action .22 which is very accurate with Eley or Federal GM Match.

Regular Poster
    I have used a few different Hawke optics at various different price points on air rifles over the years, and have generally been impressed. They do the job out to 50 odd yards on rabbits, crows etc and I have used one to shoot coke cans at 120yds without any problems. They are durable and good value throughout the range. Having said that, as above, the MTC stuff, in particular the Taipan range is far superior optically and in terms of build quality, at the cost of an approx 30% price increase for an identical spec. If you want to use it for bunnies on a rimfire or an air rifle either will be an excellent choice, just don't expect 'european' scope levels of performance in low light or longer ranges. I wouldn't use on on a stalking rifle at all, and I don't know if they are rated for centre fire recoil anyway.
    hope this helps,
    Alistair

Hi there

Thanks for the quick responses, I will be doing mainly woodland stalking and will be on a tikka 6.5x55 or .270 still undecided on rifle and as budget plays a part I could narrow my choices if I look at budget scopes? its unlikely that I'll be taking a shot out further than 150m.

My thinking is that I could get a more expensive rifle to get going and then replace the scope with time. I'll probably a one rifle stalker and if needs be I can wait to buy....

I've used Hawke scopes for years and found them to be very good value, never had an issue with them.

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    I've used Hawke scopes for years and found them to be very good value, never had an issue with them.
    Thanks thats good to know, have you had much experience with lots of other manufacturers how do they compare /stack up

Many thanks
    Bladerunner

Re the good european 'scopes...they hold their value pretty damn well.
    Can't say the same for the budget scope market if you buy new then look to sell after a while.
    A s/h Schmidt could actually work out cheaper.
    Keep an eye on here, some good scopes/prices
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post

,,,,, I will be doing mainly woodland stalking and will be on a tikka 6.5x55 or .270 still undecided on rifle and as budget plays a part I could narrow my choices if I look at budget scopes? its unlikely that I'll be taking a shot out further than 150m.

My thinking is that I could get a more expensive rifle to get going and then replace the scope with time. I'll probably a one rifle stalker and if needs be I can wait to buy....
    I would have no qualms about mounting a 1 inch tube Hawke Sport HD 4x40mm Mil Dot and get to shooting. It is so inexpensive ( 1/10 the price of an entry Zeiss).
    Then take your time and look for a deal on a something like a Leupold, Zeiss or Kahles 6x42, if 6 is not too much power for your in-the-woods hunting.