Thread: Barrel Length Tikka T3 Varmint

Barrel Length Tikka T3 Varmint

20" seems to be popular for the Tikka T3 Varmint I'm looking at. As it also comes in the longer 23 3/4" version is there any real benefit of the longer barrel? I'll be shooting mainly 100m target with the occasional poke out to 600 yards and doubtless a spray at 1000 yds... Stalking will be for all species, Reds in Scotland included.

Thanks.

I would suggest to get the most out of such a rifle at the longer range of 1000yds the longer barrel would be better. Most of the guys that regularly shoot at that sort of range use 30" barrels or longer.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Just a bit worried that I'll end up with a barrel longer than needed for 95% of my shooting, not that 24" is long tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    Just a bit worried that I'll end up with a barrel longer than needed for 95% of my shooting, not that 24" is long tbh.
    When I bought my Sako 75 Win 243 in pre-moderator days, it had a 26 inch barrel. I got 4 inches chopped off it when it was threaded for my first moderator. The rifle in my Gallery has a 23.5 inch barrel and that's fine for me.

I'm stating the obvious, but it's fairly simple to shorten a barrel if it doesn't suit you.

Regards

JCS

go for the longer barrel. you can always chop it back. cant add to a short barrel tho )

I'd say the quality of the stock would be more of a "factor" at that range than the barrel length..

was testing some homeloads in a friends 30-06 23 3/4" t3 varmint yesterday, shot thumbnail groups with 2 out of 3 loads that we tried at 100m, its his estate stalking rifle, carries well with a hardy gen 4 moderator. I'd have one, as a working tool.

Go long. It never hurts, usually helps (speed) and that extra couple ounces of steel isn't going to kill you to carry.~Muir

I'll go long then.

Thanks.