Thread: 3 legged roe buck

3 legged roe buck

Got out on Sunday morning for a couple of hours, getting into a highseat about 0500 hrs to wait for it coming light, this is the same seat that I took a nice buck from on the 1st of the month and becoming my favourite seat. As dawn broke the woods started to come alive and I sat watching and listening just enjoying the moment. There was very little wind with just the tops of the trees moving slightly. I checked the time on my phone, 0620 hrs I thought, just 10 more minutes then I'll have a walk. As I put the phone down the distinctive sound of a buck started barking to my left. Turning my head very slowly I glanced him just over my left shoulder, he had approached on my blind side and had obviously scented me. Now sat up a tree seat full camo and leaf suit that any of our American bow hunters would be proud of, at only 40 yards he couldn't see me. However with my rifle on my right hand side I couldn't move without revealing my position. What happened next surprised me as I expected him to head back into the woods but he started to move around to my front, snorting the air, stamping his feet and barking. He seemed to have a slight limp or stoop at the rear but I wasn't sure if it was the rough ground under foot. As he went behind a laurel bush I quickly turned and positioned the rifle. Then as he appeared on the other side BANG a solid heart / lung shot. He stumbled on a few yards and went down. As I went to bleed / gralloch him I saw his rear lower leg was missing. A clean cut that had healed very well and didn't seen to be causing him any issues. All lymph nodes were normal and he was in good condition with good body weight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	716.6 KB 
ID:	41010
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

well done mate ,at least hes not going to suffer any more, nice head on him atb doug,
    DONT START

What's your theory as to what happened to cause that amputation? Cheers, K

Quote Originally Posted by Krabryn View Post
    What's your theory as to what happened to cause that amputation? Cheers, K
    Not sure, the break was very clean with fur growing right to the edge, just like a docked tail on a dog. If it had been a bit lower I'd guess a gin trap of some sort, but possibly the classic double strand of barbed wire but caught with enough force to snap the bone.

A 3 legged Roebuck which we arrested some years ago. It was obviously lame and limping a bit but it was only after it dropped that the true nature of the injury could be seen.
    Possibly chopped by a mowing machine when it was a fawn.
    HWH.

[QUOTE=stag1933;775510]A 3 legged Roebuck which we arrested some years ago. It was obviously lame and limping a bit but it was only after it dropped that the true nature of the injury could be seen.
    Possibly chopped by a mowing machine when it was a fawn.
    HWH.

That's a proper job. It's amazing how they even survive never mind how they lead an almost normal life

Ive shot a couple of 3 leggers, we yad a 3 legged fox a couple of years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    I thought, just 10 more minutes then I'll have a walk. As I put the phone down the distinctive sound of a buck started barking to my left. Turning my head very slowly I glanced him just over my left shoulder, he had approached on my blind side and had obviously scented me.
    Why is it always in the last 10mins?. Me and Sean were out foxing last week and I uttered the immortal words "we'll give it 10mins and then go for a mooch" then Charlie appeared about 70yds behind us, I was totally unprepared as my rifle was resting on the car roof facing the other way. I had to turn around and shoot it freehand... Christ that Howa's heavy.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox