Shared gun safe

K333ROE

My son and I share a gun safe, he has the same calibre's as I have. My question is, does he have to have my rifles on his certificate and do I have to have his ?

Yes.

The general rule is that you can't have access to S.1 firearms or ammo that you don't have on your licence. I suppose you could go down the route of trying to secure them from each other in the cabinet, but that probably isn't practical.

+1
a friend of mine shares a cabinet with his wife and daughter who all shoot 22 rifle and each have thier own rifle. Result is that each ticket shows 3 rifles, albeit the individual actually only owns 1 rifle.
Madness!!

I share gun storage with my wife.
We both have SGC, but only I have FAC.
The bolts and ammunition for my rifles are stored in a separate small cabinet.

I share gun storage with my wife.
We both have SGC, but only I have FAC.
The bolts and ammunition for my rifles are stored in a separate small cabinet.

Now that's an elegant solution!

I wonder if it's acceptability might depend upon the opinions of the local FEO? I can imagine some being "iffy" about the body of the rifle being accessible to a non-FAC holder (not saying it's right, mind, just saying it's possible). I suppose if the OP and his son both have rifles then they would need three cabinets in total - 1 shared for the rifle bodies, and 1 each for their bolts & ammunition.

willie_gunn

Curious, this cropped up in conversation today after I'd visited my in-laws with my rifle, but ended up securing it to a bed as storage. One option we decided upon for the future was to store my rifle with a trigger lock in the in-laws cabinet and lock the bolt/ammo in the car. That way access is prevented. It may not be correct but it is pragmatic. It would be useful if the law was amended to allow shared storage.

Now that's an elegant solution!

I wonder if it's acceptability might depend upon the opinions of the local FEO?

willie_gunn

The FEO that came here to inspect our storage solution made it clear enough, when we were chatting, that they take each case on its merits, and what they deemed to be acceptable in one household wouldn't necessarily be ok in another. He reckoned that the first impression they get of the family "vibes" when the FEO walks in the door is the deciding factor in a lot of FAC related issues.

A pal that stays with me sometimes to go stalking always brings two rifles. I Discussed this with my licensing manager and he amended my ticket to read that Any firearms held on the licence of ......... Could be held and used by me. He has several firearms, it wasn't limited. Works for us, he can lock up in my cabinet with no issues. I have held them for weeks at a time on occasion after he has dropped in for a stalk en route to a holiday.

I used to leave my rifles with a friend to lock in his cabinet but kept the bolts at home when I went on holidays . A letter was always sent to the firearms section advising where my rifles were.

I also stored my nephews 308 in my cabinet until he came down to use it but I had to have this rifle entered onto my certificate.

Back