Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 378 Weatherby Magnum

378 Weatherby Magnum

I've got this terrible itch for - self punishment - one of these guns. Apparently they've got some recoil. I have no problem with a 375 H&H, how much nicer is it to shoot one of these? Anyone had one and care to comment?
    Thanks
    John

I've never owned one , but did put about 9 rounds through a friends 378 . It may have been due to stock design , but it was probably one of the nastiest recoiling rifles I've ever shot . To put it in perspective , I've owned and shot a number of rifles chambered for 375 H&H up to 458 WM and didn't find the recoil excessive in any of them . Others may have a different opinion because , as I said , I think it was more of a rifle that didn't fit than recoil .

That being said , I did build a 375 Weatherby on a Sako action years ago that I really liked . As I look back , I don't think I gained much over the H&H , it was more of a phase than anything lol. The 378 is a very powerful round , but personally , if I were going for a more powerful round than the 375 H&H , I'd go up in bore diameter and bullet weight instead of velocity ( I do like 416's ) IMHO

AB
    Last edited by alberta boy; 23-04-2014 at 22:24.

Yep, that confirms all I have heard and read. I was looking at a 404 Jeffrey a while ago until I saw this 378 in a Schulz and Larsen rifle. I'll sleep on it ....again.
    John

As above. I fired a couple of shots through a clients rifle once and have to say it is a pretty unpleasant calibre to shoot in a weatherby rifle. .404 would be a much better bet.IMHO

Everyone has advised me not to, so I did. I bought one. What does that say about me? I've just had a course of spinal manipulation, I guess I best make appointments for the next.

Quote Originally Posted by 375win View Post
    Everyone has advised me not to, so I did. I bought one. What does that say about me? I've just had a course of spinal manipulation, I guess I best make appointments for the next.
    Atta boy , let us know how it shoots . One thing , put good glass on it , they have a reputation for chewing up optics .
    Good shooting AB

Well, if you ever get bored with it, you've always got the parent for the
    .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer!

Quote Originally Posted by 375win View Post
    Good for you. You obviously had an 'itch' that needed 'scratching' and life is too short not to. Have fun.

Yorkie.

I've shot a couple Weatherby's in 30-378 and 338-378 but not the 378 .

Also got about 20 pieces of 378 brass and necked it down to a few other calibers . For some reason I had thoughts of a 264-378 but now Nosler's brought out their 26 Nosler so that kinda kills that idea .

Quote Originally Posted by Orvil View Post
    Well, if you ever get bored with it, you've always got the parent for the
    .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer!
    It's funny, whilst looking for info on the 378 I found two articles on the old "Eargesplitten Loudenboomer". I want one just for the look on people's face when they ask "What's that then mate?"