Deerhunter Pacha

novice

Does anyone have any experience of this model of the Deerhunter range? The trousers seem a good price for Deertex. Are they quiet enough to use for stalking?

Hi Stone.

The Sportsmans Gun Centre is advertising them for £20 + £6 p and p. I was tempted to buy them as a spare pair.

Have you ever tried them?

hi novice
i hav never tried them but i do buy deer hunter and hav done for years, not the most water proof of gear but then what is
at that price it would be worth trying, as for the noise factor if a stalker and a client that can get with in 40 yards of a group of fallow or roe in wellys and on wet squelchy claggy clay/soil sticking to their soles then the slight rustle from a pair of trousers will hav no bearing at all
hope this helps stone

Cheers for the advice Stone. It's interesting to hear other people's opinions on 'the noise factor' when it comes to clothing.

I have been out with 2 guides, and one was fastidious about all clothing being as silent as possible, while the other wore a pair of Deerhunter over trousers that I could hear swishing as we stalked. I was successful with both guides, so who is right?

I have a great goretex jacket by Whitewater Outdoors that I wear for rough shooting and beating. I'm tempted to start wearing it for stalking, but I always thought it would make too much noise.

I think I will get a pair of the pacha trousers. I intend to rotate them with a pair of Stearns Mad Dog that I have. I'm off up to the Borders next Sunday for a few days after roe does, so I will hopefully report back my findings.

Novice

hi novice
neither stalker is right or wrong it is just there way they think and act and as they both guided you to a successful stalk then the logic of both stalkers worked
good luck on you trip to the borders hope to hear a little about it on you return
kind regards stone

I have a Pacha Jacket, not the leggings as yet. I find it very good, light, warm and pretty much silent. Plenty of pockets too.

I do worry about it's ability to stand up to really rough undergrowth though.

I am going into Sportsmans new store at the weekend and may pick up the matching leggings.

Jerry

I have the deerhunter Ram trousers and have all but worn them out. I think they will probably walk away on their own fairly shortly. To be fair they have been very very good and worth the money I paid for them.

z

sportsman seem to be having a sale at the moment on some deer hunter clothing so make sure you hav some spare cash in your pocket sanders just incase as money talks
ATB
stone

stone said:
sportsman seem to be having a sale at the moment on some deer hunter clothing so make sure you hav some spare cash in your pocket sanders just incase as money talks
ATB
stone

Well I went a couple of weeks ago and spent enough.....but on a new rifle set up, not clothes!

Jerry

Hi novice,
I bought a pair of Pacha trousers from the sportsman last week, i haven't stalked in them yet but have tried them on and i'm very happy with them.
there not particlarly noisy, very warm and the back is high enough to give your kidneys some protection when walking bent over or in a high seat.
I've got other types of dearhunter trousers but they were nearer £70 and i cant really see mutch difference, certainly not £50 worth.
I wish i'd bought anouther pair at the same time to save on p+p.
Hope this helps, Ezzy.

Hi novice,

Since I started stalking several years ago I've used a Kammo Kodiak jacket which has never let me down. Lots of deep pockets (good for not standing my round in the pub after :D ) reasonably quiet and even in the heaviest rain has kept me bone dry, on top at least.

I did have a pair of the Kammo overtrousers but these were very bulky making it difficult to climb fences etc so on the advice of a keeper I bought a pair of tweed trousers from Hoggs in Fife on the basis that if you do get wet wearing tweed it's time to call it a day.

Not the most sartorial looking things to wear and can be a bit scratchy to wear but virtually slient.

In summer and up to the point when the b****y midges start I use an army surplus camo jacket .

Now that's a topice for discussion - DPM or not.?

My mate always goes out wearing a very light coloured jacket and jeans which vary from faded light blue to almost white and almost always comes home with the venison.

His view is that it is not the colour but the movement which deer see . If a deer is spooked it doesn't matter what you wear, it's off.

Back