Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: DEFRA's AHVLA Potential TB Alert Lancs / Cumbria!

  1. #1

    DEFRA's AHVLA Potential TB Alert Lancs / Cumbria!

    Herewith, today's Shooting Times report on this alerting deer stalkers to a potential TB hotspot in the Goosnargh area.
    Does anyone know more about the source of this alert? Cheers, K

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TB Alert Shooting Times Report 23Apr14.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	41080

  2. #2
    i know a lad that does some stalking around that area, i will get in touch with him tomorrow and see if he is aware of the alert.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

  3. #3
    Hi guys. There's a statement from The D.I mentioning there's a case of a NEW TB and that all farmers and so forth but also ALL Deer carcasses be reported showing signs of infection. In England & Wales. Pretty much what ANY stalker, trained or not would do on finding signs during eviceration. Here's a link...

    Lancashire-Potential TB hotspot | The Deer Initiative

    Atb

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Antler View Post
    Hi guys. There's a statement from The D.I mentioning there's a case of a NEW TB and that all farmers and so forth but also ALL Deer carcasses be reported showing signs of infection. In England & Wales. Pretty much what ANY stalker, trained or not would do on finding signs during eviceration. Here's a link...

    Lancashire-Potential TB hotspot | The Deer Initiative

    Atb
    wot a load of ********
    is all I can add

    who think they know and who really knows

    same story but different outcome

    UKDTR. Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    wot a load of ********
    is all I can add

    who think they know and who really knows

    same story but different outcome
    Eh?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    Eh?
    They started this rubbish here in the midlands a few years ago
    blamed Deer and wanted as much info as poss
    scared the crap out of the farmers who wanted all deer shot on sight
    another load of ***** to blame deer for something they know nothing about

    UKDTR. Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

  8. #8
    Have to disagree Stone, if anything DEFRA seem to be less concerned about bTB in wildlife than they should. However, in the early stages of TB as Lancashire sadly seems to be, the more deer that are reported as suspect, but tested negative, the better as it shows infection is not in the local population. Fallow in particular are a source for cattle infection.

  9. #9
    In the Deer Initiative statement, there's no mention of a deer being the culprit for the outbreak but merely asks that should any deer turn up showing signs of bTB that they be reported. To my memory, that's standard practice from a stalker with a suspected case in your shot deer.
    A question...Is it likely that Roe, Muntjac and most likely Fallow can contract it from infected Badgers in the area too?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    They started this rubbish here in the midlands a few years ago
    blamed Deer and wanted as much info as poss
    scared the crap out of the farmers who wanted all deer shot on sight
    another load of ***** to blame deer for something they know nothing about
    Thanks for clearing that but I have to agree with Buchan. TB is a notifiable disease, every stalker should be checking glands, it's a piece of piss, there is no excuse not to. These cases are a reminder and the DI are just remainding people of what they should be doing anyway.

    I don't think they are blaming deer at all but as the only large wild mammal that is legally shot and put into the food chain (and therefore inspected) they should make an easy sample population for the spread of bTB.

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted stalking, lancs /cumbria
    By scoby270 in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-06-2013, 19:02
  2. Wanted Doe or Hind Stalking North Lancs/South Cumbria
    By ScottC in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-12-2012, 20:29
  3. Cumbria Potential bTB hotspot notification
    By jack in forum Diseases, Welfare and Biology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 19:28
  4. Independant Panel for Forestry. Defra
    By news of the world in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-07-2011, 17:10
  5. Coastal access - BASC alert for shooters in Cumbria
    By Iwrch in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-06-2011, 11:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •