Thread: Browning maxus stock spacers.

Browning maxus stock spacers.

I have a Browning maxus for pigeon shooting. Lovely gun but spoilt by the stack of spacers to get the cast and comb right for me. I've ended up with a few which never quite sit aligned and also create a gap at the trigger guard. This really does make the gun look like a cheap repair job.
    I'm thinking of having the spacers (I ended up having to use a combination of 5 to get the right stock adjustment) measured up and having a single plastic block engineered to the same dimension.
    Has anyone found a solution to this or should I just put up with it?
    thanks

Your notion of measuring up your stack of spacers and having a single block machined is a good one. One easy way to do it is to have some a 3D CAD draftsman measure some points around it, and generate a solid model. He could do that on the gun, without taking things apart. Then, all he would need is a spacer to locate the hole.

The other thing is to have a really good shotgun smith use that drawing to cut your stock at the receiver to match the angle. Then add a little spacer to the butt. You could do this with a cheap take off browning stock to check it first, before slicing yours.

In the US, I would ask a big master dealer, like Joel Etchen Guns. 1500 Rt. 30 - Ligonier Pa 15658.
    They are mostly Beretta, do a lot of stock swapping and fitting, but might help you by e-mail:
    Sales@JoelEtchenGuns.com

Surely someone with Browning there can point you in the right direction.

Hi Stecad,

I've got the same gun and did have the same problem as you. At first I used the supplied spacers from Browing but when I went into my local gunshop they had an aftermarket 1" spacer that I fitted and filed down to the correct size to fit the stock and 1 x browning spacer. From memory this took the Length of Pull to heal to 15 1/4". A local gunsmith should easily be able to carry this service out for you and make it look good too.

Best of luck, Paul.

Hi Roelander, can I just double check. Did you fit a spacer to the but end of the stock which effectively addressed the LOP, then find that you only needed a single spacer between the stock & action.
    I've ended up with quite a bit of cast on which would still need a few spacers.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stecad View Post
    Hi Roelander, can I just double check. Did you fit a spacer to the but end of the stock which effectively addressed the LOP, then find that you only needed a single spacer between the stock & action.
    I've ended up with quite a bit of cast on which would still need a few spacers.
    Thanks
    Hi Stecad,

Yes I put a 1" spacer on the butt to sort out the LOP and I had 1 x shim in between the action and stock. The shim I used lifted the comb slightly and I didn't need to change the cast. I hope that helps?