Thread: 300 win mag

300 win mag

Hi all i have been offered a old sako 300 win mag i dont know the exact model but have been told its fired less than 100 shots and most of them were for zeroing and was used on the hill a few times, just wondering do many people use them and their thoughts on this calibre and preffered bullet weights ect

if the price is right then it could be a real sleeper

I picked up a Tikka 585 (the metal one, not the plastic one) in 300WM to throw some bigger lumps than the 270
    really like it, doesnt kick anything like people say (usually people that have not shot one!)
    I use 180gr Lapua Mega, 200gr Norma Oryx and 208gr Amax(target)

Currently using 69.9gr N160 (tried N4831 and N165 but 160 was better)
    Norma Brass and Fed Gold Mag Primers
    Off the roof of the car at 115yds it shoots better than me and most of the holes are touching or near enough

the trajectory and energy is very confidence inspiring
    shooting a target at 285yds I aimed slightly above the bull thinking like a .270 shooter and was gobsmacked when the hole appeared pretty much where I had been aiming!

it doesn't destroy deer, it just does what you expect it, 10p entry and 50p exit on a medium sized stag at 100yds

If the .270 wasn't like one of my children to me I would get rid and use this for everything in its place

I like mine. Its a Win Mod 70 stainless synthetic & I guess I've had this particular one almost 20 years now. The lightest projectile I use is 180 grn & IMO this chambering does its best work with 200 grn projectiles.

Cheers Sharkey

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I picked up a Tikka 585 (the metal one, not the plastic one) in 300WM to throw some bigger lumps than the 270
    really like it, doesnt kick anything like people say (usually people that have not shot one!)
    I use 180gr Lapua Mega, 200gr Norma Oryx and 208gr Amax(target)

the trajectory and energy is very confidence inspiring
    shooting a target at 285yds I aimed slightly above the bull thinking like a .270 shooter and was gobsmacked when the hole appeared pretty much where I had been aiming!

it doesn't destroy deer, it just does what you expect it, 10p entry and 50p exit on a medium sized stag at 100yds

If the .270 wasn't like one of my children to me I would get rid and use this for everything in its place

This post struck a chord in my memory. Your Tikka is a 658, so it's part plastic just like the 695 (different bolt shroud only) and the cheaper T3. It's also fitted with a muzzle brake, with the option to fit a moderator if you haven't already done .... so it was already tamed when you got it.

Rifles in .300WM are sold cheap for a reason.

Don't let anyone be fooled by talk of the recoil of the .300WM. It's no fun, and can be painful for some. I once watched an 18-stone fatty take a hiding from a single box of factory Winchester 180gr fired in a Winchester M70 sporter (he needed the cases - to load down). His next move was the purchase of a muzzle brake before its' next outing. I reflected that if he'd been a a 10-stone weakling like me he would have rolled with the blows, and the punishment to the shoulder might not have been so bruising.

If you must have a magnum then go for a 7mm (RM or WSM). You won't need to adopt cissy measures, and you can fire a standard unfrigged sporter off the bench at a range to sight it in .... believe me. A 7mm mag 160gr has a matching trajectory to a .300 mag 180gr from a smaller case, so with a lighter recoil will belt you a lot less for the same result.
    Last edited by Sinistral; 24-04-2014 at 13:43.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Your Tikka is a 658,

It's also fitted with a muzzle brake, with the option to fit a moderator if you haven't already done .... so it was already tamed when you got it.

well remembered
    can never get that number right!!

I shot it once with the mod and it broke my scope so I sold it to a nice chap on here
    it did have a brake but the range I use it at has barrels to shoot through and its not allowed (blows the foam to bits!)
    last outing I shot 45 unmoderated rounds prone over a couple of hours. not a problem. (I am somewhere between the 10 and the 18 stone figures!)

poor fit and technique are as much of, if not a bigger problem than recoil itself

plenty people with a bruised cheek, shoulder or eyebrow from lesser calibres..

I use an old sako finbear in 300 win its super slick action and an absolute dream to shoot very accurate indeed , get it bought,atb wayne ps i am using 180 gr partitions

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Got a Weatherby Vanguard with 24" sporter barrel and it achieves amazing accuracy with 180gr nosler partitions.

Achieves .3" groups with home loads and 0.5" with factory.

im sure it would do better, its only handicap is my abilities.

fitted with reflex T8 magnum moderator and it doesn't kick too bad.

shot Roe, Sika and Red with it.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    For the recoil shy, and those that insist the 300WM is a booter check the chart.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

A 300 win mag "painful" ?? It's not even a medium bore. LOL

A 300 win mag is a very pleasant rifle to use.

Cheers Sharkey

Sakos being on the heavier side of things recoil is no issue.

Pre 75 Sako 300wimmag, 180 grain bullets are a good alrounder.
    Last edited by TOP_PREDATOR; 25-04-2014 at 09:32.
    In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
    Mark Twain