Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a complete change.

Looking for a complete change.

I am retired from the fire service after 32 years service and have been working as a fire risk assessor/ fire safety consultant for the last four years. I always said that when I finished with the service I wanted a complete change but somehow got drawn back into pretty much the same line of work as I was doing for the last five years before I "retired".
    I've now decided that enough is enough and let's look for something different and hopefully country side or shooting related, as shooting has been my passion in various forms since I was a young lad. Does any body know of any vacancies or jobs that are shooting related. I live on the South Wales borders but would consider relocating.
    Pay doesn't have to be fantastic, just a top up of my pension. In fact in the right circumstances I would be prepared to work for expenses/accommodation.
    Last edited by 8x57; 24-04-2014 at 10:27.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I am retired from the fire service after 32 years service and have been working as a fire risk assessor/ fire safety consultant for the last four years. I always said that when I finished with the service I wanted a complete change but somehow got drawn back into pretty much the same line of work as I was doing for the last five years before I "retired".
    I've now decided that enough is enough and let's look for something different and hopefully country side or shooting related, as shooting has been my passion in various forms since I was a young lad. Does any body know of any vacancies or jobs that are shooting related. I live on the South Wales borders but would consider relocating.
    Pay doesn't have to be fantastic, just a top up of my pension. In fact in the right circumstances I would be prepared to work for expenses/accommodation.

PM sent Mike. ;-)

Jon

Never make your hobby your occupation. It`s a quick way to fall out of love with your hobby. Then everything you have is your work.

Think I'd agree with you Rake Aboot.......I used to love cooking when i was a boy, so, got a job as a commis chef in a 4 star hotel in Edinburgh....I grew to hate the whole cookery business..wasted two years of my life at it ....wouldnt advise anyone to take on their hobby as a full time job.

I thought the idea was when you retire thats what you do, why would you want to carry on working? surely time for a rest and start to enjoy all that free time for travel and hobbies or have I got it all wrong. Fair enough if you do voluntary work but leave the payed work for the younger generation who need the income and jobs.
    Last edited by patjack; 04-05-2014 at 11:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    Never make your hobby your occupation. It`s a quick way to fall out of love with your hobby. Then everything you have is your work.
    Everybody is different i suppose, i made my hobby my occupation, i still love fly fishing, in fact it fits in well with my passion of Sea Trout fishing, clients fishing during the day, i fish at night, perfect!
    Cheers
    Richard

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    i wish you the best of luck with it 8x57.

my life and hobbies went moobs up a few years back and i was off the road for the best part of 2 years,but im getting there.

happy retirement/semi retirement i hope it goes well.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by patjack View Post
    I thought the idea was when you retire thats what you do, why would you want to carry on working? surely time for a rest and start to enjoy all that free time for travel and hobbies or have I got it all wrong. Fair enough if you do voluntary work but leave the payed work for the younger generation who need the income and jobs.
    This is a very relevant point. I actually do not agree with people taking a pension, then taking a job that someone who needs it may have been able to fill.

I realise this is a delicate point, and may upset others, but how are young people meant to find work, when old people on 2 incomes won`t stop working ?

My pension is my own money that I earned working for the man for many years - not anyone else's. It gives me a basic living. I don't work for money now BUT!!!
    If I want to do a job & earn additional funds to permit me to enjoy some of the finer things in life & am fit enough to do it competitively then I will do it.
    It is a delicate point but why can't "young" people get work? - SIMPLE - they are not competetive enough!
    The main reason why folks can't find work is not because us oldies won't let go - It is because the idiots in Government have overpopulated the country and the financial markets perpetually interfere with the lives of all who work.
    Plus how many youngsters want an easy ride & aren't willing to start at the bottom & work up? - Far too many!

Rant over!

Ian

They especially cant compete with people who have done the job for 40 years and are only looking to work for a wee bit extra cash.