Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are these traps for?

What are these traps for?

Found these lobbed in a skip at work so fished em out in case they are of any use on my allotment. Just not sure if they are rat or bird traps, any idea?

Stratts

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

look very much like rat or mink traps bait goes in left hand end as you have photographed them series of funnel shaped obsticles os to make it more difficult for victims to find a way out.

Family rat cages . For catching multi rats once they get in over the middle section they cant get back out. Should be a bait station in it.

Thanks chaps perfect for the allotment then! I assume still legal?!

Perfectly legal. Put a tray of nuttela chocolate spread in the bait station , cover the cage , and the next morn there should be some in it. Rats go daft for chocolate spread or even peanut butter. Had many a good night wi the lamp and air rifle on them

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    Perfectly legal. Put a tray of nuttela chocolate spread in the bait station , cover the cage , and the next morn there should be some in it. Rats go daft for chocolate spread or even peanut butter. Had many a good night wi the lamp and air rifle on them
    I'm not letting the rats have my good stuff, I'll try them on the Aldi chocolate spread 1st, lol!!

Thanks, I'll set them tnite and see what's in there tmoro,

Stratts

I use these at work, very effective with any form of chocolate or peanut based bait, it does mean they will need dispatching obviously as humanely as possible, air rifle/pistol is your best bet

Not doubting anyone but I've got an older version of one of these traps and was told as a child they were used to catch small birds like sparrows and finches. Seem to remember there being problems with huge numbers of Finches decimating the buds on fruit trees???

Yea in theory any small bird or mammal which is able to squeeze in will become trapped so it all hinges on bait choice and trap placement