Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle zeroing

Rifle zeroing

Evening all

this may seem rather stupid but it dawned on me the other day whilst trying to explain to a friend of mine who's new to shooting how to zero in his rifle that everything I know is what I was taught by a friend who was more than likely also sharing what he had been taught and so on and so forth. Obviously as long as you end up with the same result of the rifle shooting where you want it to it doesn't overly matter how you achieve it I just wanted to know how others do it?

cheers nick

I use checking zero as an excuse to throw some lead down range... usually as a social event with a few mates.

When I fit a new scope and have to zero from scratch, I usually laser bore sight first to get on paper then it takes 3 or 4 shots to get somewhere near to where I want it then after letting barrel cool another 4 or 5 to make doubley sure.

I've tried the 2 shot zero method but I didn't have my rifle clamped so it kept moving.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Prop up rifle remove bolt and look down bore at object 100yds away. Adjust crosshairs to coincide with the object.
    Place paper target at 100yds from firing point. Shoot at target and note where fall of shot is compared to poa. Adjust reticule by the correct number of click to compensate for the difference between poa and poi. Shoot again to double check, job done.

I find it easier to laser boresighter it first. That should atleast get you within a 3-4 inch circle then try at 25-50-100 yards you should be on zero within about 12 rounds

then i get my mate to try it see what he thinks

i also hang up 3 inch circle steel plates sprayed yellow obviously its all with a proper stop behind it and shoot at them at 100 yards with a cold first shot barrel which i find so much easier and u hear the twang when it hits i find it takes my mind of chasing tighter groups and striving for better accuracy

if i can hit a 3 inch steel plate at 100 yards any fox or deer i shoot is going down without fuss
    Last edited by Markfox; 24-04-2014 at 21:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    I find it easier to laser boresighter it first. That should atleast get you within a 3-4 inch circle then try at 25-50-100 yards you should be on zero within about 12 rounds
    I'm firmly with the low-tech boresighting approach, and I'd expect to be zeroed at 100yds within three or four rounds.

I bore sight or use a collimeter to get on the paper, then go to 25 get it shooting on the bulls eye, then out to 100 for final tuning. I have in the past wasted quite a bit of ammo at 100yds chasing to get onto the paper.

I filmed this bit of video on my phone for a mate - It's had well over 1/4 million views this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    I'm firmly with the low-tech boresighting approach, and I'd expect to be zeroed at 100yds within three or four rounds.
    I agree

if you cant get on a piece of A4 at 100 yds from mk1 eyeball boresighting there is a problem

scope tracking and actual vs turret adjustment is the only undefined aspect
    (i.e. 4 clicks of 1/4" MOA does not always mean an actual shift of 1" at 100yds)

Step 1: set up rifle firmly. Put the reticle over the center [dot] of target. Pull trigger.

If the rifle moves, get the reticle back over the center [dot] of the target - where it originally was.

Step 2: Click the reticle until the bullet-hole you just made is now centered.

Step 3: There is no step 3 - you are done!

Quote Originally Posted by FISMA View Post
    Step 1: set up rifle firmly. Put the reticle over the center [dot] of target. Pull trigger.

If the rifle moves, get the reticle back over the center [dot] of the target - where it originally was.

Step 2: Click the reticle until the bullet-hole you just made is now centered.

Step 3: There is no step 3 - you are done!
    May work if you keep the rifle perfectly still between step 1a and 2.
    At the very least needs a "Step 3: check!" after all, who's to say that first shot wasn't an oily barrelled flier???