Thread: Roe Infected Messenteric lymph Nodes

Roe Infected Messenteric lymph Nodes

Shot this 4 pointer buck this morning. Looked normal in every way until I gralloched it. Three of the Messenteric were enlarged and the bottom of the lungs had white edges. All other lymph nodes were OK.

What are your thoughts? Early TB?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	535.5 KB 
ID:	41134 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	209 
Size:	396.2 KB 
ID:	41135 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	220 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	41136
    Last edited by Willie; 25-04-2014 at 20:05.

I'd report it as suspect. The lungs don't worry me, but the relative enlargement as a nodule of the mesenteric chain would make me want to examine this further.

I agree. I've seen similar in sheep suffering from intestinal parasitism.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

So who would you report it to? And what would you do with the carcass, guts ect? And if you were in Scotland would you even bother doing this? Or assume gut parasite?

This is where you slip into a grey area. If you suspect TB you are legally required to report it to your local AHVLA. The duty vet will speak to you and many things can be ruled out after a phone conversation.

Personally (I've started a thread on this in the past) I'd cut into the nodes and see if there was any sign of caesous (cheesey like) material. I'd be more likely to report it as suspect TB if you were in the SW versus the NE.

If you suspect TB ring the ministry and they will tell you what to do with the carcase etc. It would be massively irresponsible leaving potentially infected material in a place where it could affect other animals. Bury or take home and dispose of via approved route (speak to the council). You can eat the carcase if you want if it has TB.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I shot this roe in Devon, same issue, so i reported it, samples taken, months later test came back negative, it also had a tumor near the kidney, but if you suspect you MUST report it.

There is a misconception out there that it will have repercussions for the farmer if it is a wild deer with deer TB, it won't.

Cheers

Richard

Apache said "Personally (I've started a thread on this in the past) I'd cut into the nodes and see if there was any sign of caesous (cheesey like) material. I'd be more likely to report it as suspect TB if you were in the SW versus the NE."

You are a bad man! (but a good vet)

THere is an argument that in low risk TB area the reporting of these cases is even more important than in high risk areas as they can be a form of sentinel. There is another argument that the entire country will be high risk before too long. It is quite dismal to see the cases stacking up in Lancashire.