Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Moderator

Sound Moderator

Going to put a moderator on my rifle, thinking about a wildcat 12 any thoughts would be appreciated

Colm

Sorry as I have no experience with the wildcat so cant say much about it, but have used the t8 and ase northstar, and have to say the northstar really is a fantastic bit of kit that will last longer than most of us will just my 2 cents worth but good luck whichever you decide!!!!!!!!

ive got the wildcat on my 243 and after seeing others think 1 will be going on the 30-06 i like the fact you can clean them
    lee

Quote Originally Posted by lee-stroud
    ive got the wildcat on my 243 and after seeing others think 1 will be going on the 30-06 i like the fact you can clean them
    lee
    yes liked the fact it could be cleaned myself, thanks for the replys folks .

Colm

when i took my rifle to be threaded last year the riflesmith asked what sound mod i was putting on it,i passed him my t8 and said i have got this what do you think of them,he said they were a good sound mod.he did then say he wasnt a fan of the sound mods which you could strip as he said they should be all one.i dont know what he meant by this?

mod cleaning

I'm puzzled that some perfectly good and reputable mods aren't strippable for cleaning but some are.What I mean is, either it needs cleaned or it doesn't, in which case you are just fiddling and possibly screwing it up (no pun intended).
    Which is it?.

fraser

A simple demonstration of why mods should be capable of being taken down for cleaning, can be had by looking at a small mod that has been fitted to a .17HMR, after burning fifty or so rounds the crud in there is quite amazing, O.K. . .17 a small round but so is the mod, so a larger round with a larger mod?, anything that is involved with combustion of materials will have residue left behind, over time & rounds fired a certain buildup is going to occur, this buildup will need removal. ?.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270
    over time & rounds fired a certain buildup is going to occur, this buildup will need removal. ?.
    Absolutely, but why isn't a T8 strippable?. Sorry,still confused

fraser

T8, a fine piece of kit , as it was a leader in its inception, things move on, muzzle loading got left behind!

me to ,i was told never leave the sound mod on the rifle when in the cabinet,and the sound mod,just squirt it through with wd40 and stand it on end to drain after every time its been used.not had mine for that long but had no probs yet.some mates have had t8,s for a few years and had no probs.