Sound Moderator

colm

Going to put a moderator on my rifle, thinking about a wildcat 12 any thoughts would be appreciated

Colm

Sorry as I have no experience with the wildcat so cant say much about it, but have used the t8 and ase northstar, and have to say the northstar really is a fantastic bit of kit that will last longer than most of us will ;) just my 2 cents worth but good luck whichever you decide!!!!!!!! :D

ive got the wildcat on my 243 and after seeing others think 1 will be going on the 30-06 i like the fact you can clean them
lee

lee-stroud said:
ive got the wildcat on my 243 and after seeing others think 1 will be going on the 30-06 i like the fact you can clean them
lee

yes liked the fact it could be cleaned myself, thanks for the replys folks .

Colm

when i took my rifle to be threaded last year the riflesmith asked what sound mod i was putting on it,i passed him my t8 and said i have got this what do you think of them,he said they were a good sound mod.he did then say he wasnt a fan of the sound mods which you could strip as he said they should be all one.i dont know what he meant by this?

mod cleaning

I'm puzzled that some perfectly good and reputable mods aren't strippable for cleaning but some are.What I mean is, either it needs cleaned or it doesn't, in which case you are just fiddling and possibly screwing it up (no pun intended).
Which is it?.

fraser

A simple demonstration of why mods should be capable of being taken down for cleaning, can be had by looking at a small mod that has been fitted to a .17HMR, after burning fifty or so rounds the crud in there is quite amazing, O.K. . .17 a small round but so is the mod, so a larger round with a larger mod?, anything that is involved with combustion of materials will have residue left behind, over time & rounds fired a certain buildup is going to occur, this buildup will need removal. ?.

me to :rolleyes: ,i was told never leave the sound mod on the rifle when in the cabinet,and the sound mod,just squirt it through with wd40 and stand it on end to drain after every time its been used.not had mine for that long but had no probs yet.some mates have had t8,s for a few years and had no probs.

mods

Ref T8 and rust, someone else has recently pointed out here that yes they do rust so you'll have to by another...after maybe 10+ years. If the F.C. use them I don't imagine they want to replace them all the time so maybe he was right.
If something works ok without getting cleaned for that many years then I would say it doesn't need cleaned.

fraser

Hmmm when I was making enquiries and looking to buy a sound moderator I was told that the T8 is classed as a disposable one and supposed to be changed after about 4 yars use :eek: Now how true this is I cannot say as every time you ask it seems different information or ideas are offered. I ended up buying a Wildcat predator 8 which is strippable for cleaning and appears to be well made. Only having had it for a short while and never using a full bore mode before it's difficult to make an informed judgment on it as I have nothing to compare it with modrator wise. It is quieter now it's had some rounds through it then wit seemed to be when brand new.

My Striling .17Hmr with a wildcat silencer is on the way as we speak....sounds like i will have to get used to cleaning it. Cleaned my .22lr silencer a couple of times in 7 years, never too much gunk in it but i like to check every now and then.

ATB

Think tika308 was probably refering to me when he said his mate has used 1 for years :eek:
T8 for me everytime. Where ever someone heard that they are a disposable piece of kit and should be changed every 4 years or so are talking out there arse. Yes they do suffer from corrosion problems if not maintained properly, But if your the original owner and have the reciept and maintained it according to the manufacturers instuctions then they will change it if it rusts out. I have seen rusted T8s but only due to lack of care. 1 of my T8s has been in use for well over 12 years now and it shows no sign of rusting out yet, Its been on 3 rifles and had plenty of rounds put through it in that time and used in all conditions.
I even know people who have strippable mods and dont strip them, Whats the point in having the bloody thing :rolleyes: Also if you dont strip and clean it for a while and then try taking it apart without damaging something then good luck :eek:
I dont like the idea of a centrefire mods being stripped down, You only have to put something back wrong or forget to tighten something up and your in big trouble, Thats how i see it anyway.
Fester

colm said:
Going to put a moderator on my rifle, thinking about a wildcat 12 any thoughts would be appreciated

Colm

I'm a big fan of wildcat moderators. I have 4 in sizes from .17 to .30

They are (arguably) not always the quietest or the lightest but they are exceptionally well made to excellent tolerances, they are modular, easy to clean and easy to replace/modify to suite calibres/thread sizes etc.

You didn't specify what calibre it's for, but the most popular model by far is the Predator 8. I would have thought the P12 could be a little bulky unless you have a reason to prioritise sound reduction over weight/bulk?

Alex

All this moderator talk got me thinking about my own Wildcat P8. I'm having my 7mm rifle threaded and that plus a baffle and bush change will cost me £110. I stripped it down thinking(hoping) that maybe, just maybe I've got upto .308 baffles in mine and will save myself £75. Well here's the answer!
Sorry about the poor pics.
blastplate.jpg

NO!!!
DSC00168.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

DSC00171.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

DSC00172.jpg

£110 it is then :lol:

csl said:
colm said:

Colm

I'm a big fan of wildcat moderators. I have 4 in sizes from .17 to .30

They are (arguably) not always the quietest or the lightest but they are exceptionally well made to excellent tolerances, they are modular, easy to clean and easy to replace/modify to suite calibres/thread sizes etc.

You didn't specify what calibre it's for, but the most popular model by far is the Predator 8. I would have thought the P12 could be a little bulky unless you have a reason to prioritise sound reduction over weight/bulk?

Alex

Hi thanks for the reply it's to fit to my 6.5x55 your probably right about the P8 it would suit me fine , pretty much made up my mind it's the one i am going to get.

Colm

Hmmm I thought that they used a ring system to tell which size it's for. Mine is a .243 one and two rings machined into the "teet" of the blast shield. Two rings = .243 according to the maker as I phoned to query it as we got the tubes and stuff mixed up and it came in a tube marked .308.

Of course I am the same situation as I now need it to fit a .270 :rolleyes: so need to get a new insert blast shield ................... Oh well. Threading I will take care of ;) .

Back