Help Lost Roe

verminator69

I have just got in from stalking this evening,with a good mate of mine,I was on one part of the estate and he was on another part. He gave me phone to say he had shot a beast that had a good report and it had ran up a tramline and into a spinnie.
I arrived 10 minutes later with the dog but I tried right on dark to look for it, no sign of it I think it's been shot in the front leg (not sure I wasn't there).
The shot was about 20.45,so is there anybody in the East Lothian area available tomorrow with a pro tracking dog to help recovery it would be much appreciated.

Regards Alan

Good luck on the track!
If a front leg shot: Fingers crossed.... A track for expets, if the lower leg got hit.

Keep us updated, please!

:tiphat:

Heres hoping you get the beast Alan.Had it a few times over the years including two we never found after days of looking and it not a good feeling at all.If it was that Jambo on the rifle i would usually say learn him to shoot but it does/can happen to us all at some time.

Good luck on the track! , well done to the OP for quickly asking for assistance with it.
Looking forward to reading a report of the track

Grumpy

Good luck on the track!
If a front leg shot: Fingers crossed.... A track for expets, if the lower leg got hit.

Keep us updated, please!

:tiphat:

I know, let's hope its hit somewhere other than the leg! Not heard back yet so don't know what was seen or found if anything, at the shot site.

Yeh dave it was me behind tye trigger i was happy enougb with he shot got a good reaction from the roe juumped then dropped but got straight to its feet and was off with no time for a follow up shot i watched it all the way up the tram line expecting it to drop and time but it just kept going 200odd yards to the spinney i dont know whether i pulled the shot or the beast moved but i was happy with the shot till it got back to its feet . I gave it the ten minutes in the wood to bleed out as i was sure it had dropped in the wood but when alan got there with a dog there was no sigh of it unsure if it cut back in the wood and crossed the road or what happened we looked for as lo g as we could but the light and thick fog got the better of us in the end but to say i am gutted is a understatment i really hope its found i will be back down looking for it today

Last edited:
Let me know if I can help, I have a springer and a teckel that can track.

PM for a phone number if required.....

If you want a hand give a shout, not got a tracking dog but have some dogs if you want to push some stuff out and see what comes.

I'm at Kelso so cant be all that far!

Not long in and an up date on the track,Brian and I plus his dog (whiskey) got to the shot site which she found.To
find no blood a very small amount of cut pins and 1 small piece of skin,so we think it was a low shot on its brisket,
the dog tracked up the first tram line of a rape field to spinney about 250y then into the wood.
Still nothing no pins or blood even on entry to wood,then the dog indicated that she wanted to go over a fence and onto the road,Brian took the dog over the road and proceeded to track along another rape field and then onto a field of winter barley which is about 6-700yds by now,sent was going dry now.Heavy rain last night and raining this
afternoon made it tricky conditions.
We did try and look at the wood were we thought the beast was heading to but nothing found there either.
Any way we did try,and I would like to thank Brian and Whiskey for there efforts today,it's much appreciated.

Regards Alan

Alan always hard in those conditions, just keep checking the same area, roe tend to keep to ground they know it keeps stress down you are likely to find it in the same place it was shot from or close by. good luck and good effort to find it ,wayne

Alan always hard in those conditions, just keep checking the same area, roe tend to keep to ground they know it keeps stress down you are likely to find it in the same place it was shot from or close by. good luck and good effort to find it ,wayne

hair.jpgI think your right Wayne about it returning. Allan is pretty certain it's the same buck he has seen crossing onto this field from a wood several hundred yards away, which is certainly where Whisky tracked it back to. I should have taken photos of the shot site but left camera in car due to rain. The hair y appears to be from brisket area and the tiny slither of skin attached to this hair is all that was found. Thankfully no hair suggesting a leg shot. No bone, blood or meat there either. Given this and the reaction of the beast when shot at, the brisket is the likely option. I think after 4hrs it was safe to say we did what we could...

Will do Wayne

Back