View Poll Results: How many stalkers own or have ready access to a deer dog?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • I own a deer dog

126 66.32%
  • I have ready access to a deer dog

35 18.42%
  • I neither own or have ready access to a deer dog

29 15.26%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many stalkers own or have ready access to a deer dog?

How many stalkers own or have ready access to a deer dog?

Following on from the "Is .243 Big Enough" debate, how many own or have ready access to a dog capable of tracking a lost animal?

From the plethora of posts on the topic, it appears almost inevitable that regardless of calibre, capability or experience, at some stage all stalkers are likely to shoot an animal they are subsequently unable to find. Whether dropped within a bush just a few metres from where shot, to having made an adrenaline fuelled run of 100 metres or more.

I also don't recall the topic being broached during DSC1. Does my memory fail me and if not, surely the topic should be part of the syllabus?

Quote Originally Posted by tjm160 View Post
    Following on from the "Is .243 Big Enough" debate, how many own or have ready access to a dog capable of tracking a lost animal?

From the plethora of posts on the topic, it appears almost inevitable that regardless of calibre, capability or experience, at some stage all stalkers are likely to shoot an animal they are subsequently unable to find. Whether dropped within a bush just a few metres from where shot, to having made an adrenaline fuelled run of 100 metres or more.

I also don't recall the topic being broached during DSC1. Does my memory fail me and if not, surely the topic should be part of the syllabus?
    I would suggest its implicit in the statement “every effort should be made to locate a wounded deer”. Or some such.

K

Chapter 18 (I think) of the dsc1 training manual is follow up and dogs for deer. Only a page long but it is there.

Thanks Mike, you're right, Chapter 18 does cover, albeit in the most vague of senses.

I have a dog that i use for tracking losted deer I also have access to a cold sent hound DEERMAN has a two good dogs,and i would call him if mine could not find it

Quote Originally Posted by tjm160 View Post

I have upgraded from a Lab bird-dog, also trained on the basics of scenting a blood trail, to a full on GWP ( 10 month pup with `L` plates ) to be used solely for deer, and even after basic training the GWP is mentally good on deer with very ( to my mind ) little blood used in the training......

The lab tended to be put on trails pretty quickly, while still `hot`, but the GWP even at 10 months will do 3 - 6 hour trails without hesitation.

Not saying I lose lots of deer, but the reassurance and confidence boost is there should anything go horribly wrong - which inevitably it will do at some stage.....

All the best.

Neil.

I wonder if this survey might not be better in the general section as stalkers without dogs may not actually look in this section and thus give a false indication to the poll results. At the moment it would suggest that the majority of stalkers have access to a dog which possibly isn't the case.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Thanks for the comments gents, very helpful and good suggestion 8x57, perhaps one of the admin/moderators could oblige?

everyone has access to a trained dog its just a matter of asking if you need help, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    everyone has access to a trained dog its just a matter of asking if you need help, atb wayne
    Exactley Wayne
    a very valid point ..

UKDTR. Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service