Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22mag v 22hornet

22mag v 22hornet

looking for help have got a ruger in 22 mag started shooting cci 40g hp shooting good groups at 100yds and hitting eggs. but out at weekend it wouldnt shoot cleaned it still a no go had some hornaday 32g ballistics still a no go .thinking of 22 hornet as i have been offered it at a good price what do you think i should do.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeroo View Post
    looking for help have got a ruger in 22 mag started shooting cci 40g hp shooting good groups at 100yds and hitting eggs. but out at weekend it wouldnt shoot cleaned it still a no go had some hornaday 32g ballistics still a no go .thinking of 22 hornet as i have been offered it at a good price what do you think i should do.
    There is a lot unsaid n your post: Wind, etc., but i can tell you that cleaning doesn't help accuracy and the 32 grain Hornady can be choosey as to what gun they shoot from. (I have seven 22 magnums) The Hornet is a major step up in power and range. What kind of Hornet have you been offered??~Muir

not alot of wind slight breeze the rifle is a ruger laminate stock heavy barrel no mod tasco titan scope also at the same time zeroing in a 22 t-bolt at 60yds with cci subs all in side half in 10 shot groups so not that windy .as for the hornet it is a cz that is screw cut with mounts i have shot a 22k hornet and loved it it was a cz as well .is it home loads you shoot or factory.cam

You can't go wrong with a CZ Hornet! I was afraid you were going to say it was a Ruger! If you can do it and the price is right, it will be a good one. Home loaded it will make the 22WMR almost a forgotten item.~Muir

I shoot only home loads in the Hornet. The last factory Hornet i shot was evaluating some factory 35 grain V-Max Hornady some years back.

Nothing more to be said than do please put a nice set of mounts & rings on the CZ and not a rail.

Best of luck

K

might upset some people on here dont like them and never will use i think they spoil the look of a rifle

Quote Originally Posted by buckeroo View Post
    might upset some people on here dont like them and never will use i think they spoil the look of a rifle
    I don't like them either. I need to buy a set of Burris Low Rings for a 527 tonight to be used on a BRNO#1 22LR. Be warned that Low rings on the 527 Hornet will usually result in an interference with the bolt handle hitting the scope. The CZ Hornet is such an elegant little rifle that I hope you can find a piece of glass in scale with it. I currently have a 4-12 X 32mm A/O sold by one of the local sports stores. It has a fine, laser cut reticle that is perfect for centering the heads of shy prairiedogs.~Muir

I shoot an old .22 Win Mag and find it effective to 150 yards with a 4x scope. The new Remington Accutip really shoots flat in that range.

A good friend shoots an Anschutz .22 Hornet with a 3-9x40 Leupold and it is a real step up. The accuracy is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I shoot an old .22 Win Mag and find it effective to 150 yards with a 4x scope. The new Remington Accutip really shoots flat in that range.

A good friend shoots an Anschutz .22 Hornet with a 3-9x40 Leupold and it is a real step up. The accuracy is incredible.
    I traded my Anny to buy a CZ. Didn't like the generous chamber and rear locking lugs. Shot about MOA with a number of handloads and factory and was a beautiful rifle with a sterling trigger... but I'd shot several CZ's and all would out shoot the Annie at a turn. The new owner loves it and I still have the CZ.~Muir

A mate of mines just purchased a 22 mag / 410 combination baikel interesting
    norma