Thread: Lee Ergo-prime

Unhappy Lee Ergo-prime

Has anybody had trouble with one of these?
    The one I have managed to flip a cap onto its side and break the lug off the plastic tray cover and damage to plastic guide tube that locates the case holder. I have repaired the guide but caps do not easily slide onto the ram and sometimes caps flip in the guide. To overcome the lifting of the lid I have to use a crocodile clip.
    It looks as if Lee have made a good tool with a crap tray. I understand no spares are available yet.

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    The one I have managed to flip a cap onto its side and break the lug off the plastic tray cover and damage to plastic guide tube that locates the case holder. I have repaired the guide but caps do not easily slide onto the ram and sometimes caps flip in the guide. To overcome the lifting of the lid I have to use a crocodile clip.
    It looks as if Lee have made a good tool with a crap tray. I understand no spares are available yet.
    Only primed approx. 200 rounds with mine so far, but no problems and a very good piece of kit. I am always careful that the primers are seated the right way from the outset and don't make too many sudden movements to accidentally dislodge one in the process, its a bit of a paranoia thing that I have with priming one the wrong way!

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    My large tray lifts a little when used, loaded far more smalls without issue...had a problem ramming home large primers too have had to double seat after case not releasing from shell holder...

Agree tho trays feel flimsy compared to the rest of the setup

I have since sent email to Lee and they are putting replacement in post to me. I suggest anybody who has trouble or even perceived trouble with this item to let Lee know of it.
    Further to OP I have managed to load primer upside down. I now know that hand priming tools are no quicker than a press and are liable to make errors that need to be excluded 'on the hoof'. I tried small primer tray and had none of the issues as with large tray.

Over the last 10years I have loaded thousands of cases with a Lee hand prime I am not nice to it or carefull I just tip in the primers shake until all the primers are the right way up push and twist the lid and away you go no problem at all.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

This appears to be specific to the Ergo Prime. The tray lid lifts about .060" as the lever is pulled and the primer in the tray is lifted into the pre-prime position. This is enough to allow the primer to flip onto its side or over. It is due to the very small lug on the lid of the tray not engaging with the slot on the tray. The tray lid or lug could do with being slightly larger to engage fully.
    The tray and lid of the small primers are much better made and the lug engages better.

I'm pleased to announce that Lee have supplied me with new small and large trays that arrived today 10thMay.
    Last edited by billh; 10-05-2014 at 14:14.