Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mcmillan Stock

New Mcmillan Stock

I've been thinking about it for a long time- in fact, when I bough the rifle, I almost bought one to go with it there and then- but finally decided to whack a new stock on my Steyr Pro Varmint .223
    Its the generic SBS action one and despite mixed info from different sources about whether it would fit- all it needed was a bit of a sand paper workout to inlet the barrel channel and that was it.

Huge thanks to anyone I've been pestering about it- I very nearly went for a staffordshire synthetic stocks one after "Steyr 6.5"s recommendation but the two day order time from Jackson's swayed me to this one in the end.

I hope it shoots as good as it looks

Last edited by Crosshair243; 26-04-2014 at 20:20.

Established Poster
    Great looking bit of kit

Didn't expect to christen it so soon

Looks great, I am very tempted to do the same. How much work was required to inlet the barrel and how did you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Looks great, I am very tempted to do the same. How much work was required to inlet the barrel and how did you do it?
    I literally did it with some old sandpaper and a long socket just wider than my barrel. I had to take a fair bit of material out but it probably took an hour max. I got it close and then kept reseating the action and running a sheet of paper down until it was nicely free floated.
    It makes such a difference to the whole rifle- it even feels more quality when cycling the bolt!
    I run a 50y zero and it one holes at that range now instead of ragged holes. I've also shot it out to 400y with Privi soft points and is around a 5" horizontal and 2" vertical group at that distance now.
    The biggest advantage for me as a truck gun is that I don't have to double check whether the stock is touching the barrel when twisting for awkward shots.

Very pleased with it

Sounds easy enough thanks for the explanation. I will be ordering one in the near future!!

I think you'll be pleased with it and best of all they're off the shelf and with you in no time at all!

I used McMillan stocks since the early 1980's with no issues that were not readily fixed. I usually opt for a recoil pad with spacers to enable me to fit rifles to various users. Seems when I get a rifle built someone always wants to pay me more for it than what I think its worth so out the door it goes...

SS

Hi
    Ive just bought a new steyr manlicher pro hunter synthetics in 6.5x55 cal standard weight stainless barrel.
    Do you know if these stocks would fit my rifle? And what is that pattern known as
    to Jackson rifles? I do like that!
    I too would feel much more confident with a new stock instead
    of the factory flimsy one that's on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste B View Post
    Hi
    Ive just bought a new steyr manlicher pro hunter synthetics in 6.5x55 cal standard weight stainless barrel.
    Do you know if these stocks would fit my rifle? And what is that pattern known as
    to Jackson rifles? I do like that!
    I too would feel much more confident with a new stock instead
    of the factory flimsy one that's on it.
    Excuse my ignorance but is 6.5x55 a short action? If yes, then yes it will fit

M1413-06
    M1413-07
    and
    M1413-08
    on the following list:
    http://www.jacksonrifles.com/inventory.htm